PDA

View Full Version : sexing discus - the lowdown please:D myth and truths

henward
06-20-2010, 06:12 AM
how does one do this part from behaviour.

i am told that females can sometimes act like males, and females can "pair up" with another female while laying?

is this true.
please give me the LOW DOWN on the sexing of discus

prabuddhasarkar
06-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Yes that can happen. two females can act as a pair whille laying eggs. And sexing is a bit tough thing. Thoug you can find a lot of articles on them in net. The Anal fin, Colouration, patterns sometimes, Head shape etc. All these are important factors.

Jhhnn
06-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I think the criteria used to sex discus are intangible, largely undefined, even by people who can apparently do so with some accuracy. It's not something they can explain very well, even when they try. It seems to be more of an ability to form a general impression from a combination of subtle clues than a definitive methodology... and it's nowhere near 100%, either.

DiscusKev
06-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Good thing about this guessing game, is that you could be 50% right, or 50% wrong. It's like flipping a coin :D

Discus-n00b
06-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm sure it varies from fish to fish. And take my observations for what they are....just personal observations not facts. But in my tanks i've had great sucess telling the females from the males early by watching their behavior. The females are much more boisterous then the males early on in development. They seem to have the temper and mature faster. I believe they have the temper because they mature faster so they start to feel the need to breed or stake their claim.

But I fully agree with Jhhnn, its a general impression i've gotten from MY fish and tanks and might be way off base for someone else. I could never do something like Hans and choose fish from a tank full and be correct on the sexes. I can only be fairly accurate in my own tanks after watching my fish for days on end.

joanr
06-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Will all females eventually lay down eggs irregardless of whether or not they have a mate? if not, why? Would there be something wrong with a female that never produces eggs? Aside from being unhealthy in general. I do agree with Matt, the girls are more mature and fiesty at a younger age. But it's that way in nature, even humans.

henward
06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
dang!
so there is no visuall way of telling easily like some fish lol
i have a fair idea i guess, but want confirmation.
the only way i guess is to see them lay eggs and hatch them lol

DiscusKev
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Male: Fertilizes the egg and causing them to hatch or have wrigglers. Sex organ is pointed, triangular looking, generally smaller and thinner than a female's papilla.

Females: Lay eggs. Sex organ is blunt and loose looking, generally bigger and thicker than a males sex organ.

Some people take their discus out and lay them onto their sides and have an underview of their vents.

kaceyo
06-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Jack Wattley once said that he'd never seen anyone get better than 50% accuracy when guessing the sex of his discus.
I do think though that behavior will tell you more about the sex of your own fish than physical attributes.
Not all females will eventually lay eggs even if they are healthy. Just like not all males will be interested in spawning.

joanr
06-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Jack Wattley once said that he'd never seen anyone get better than 50% accuracy when guessing the sex of his discus.
I do think though that behavior will tell you more about the sex of your own fish than physical attributes.
Not all females will eventually lay eggs even if they are healthy. Just like not all males will be interested in spawning.

Why is that? Do their bodies just never "click" into producing eggs? Is there something that triggers the process like having to have a potential mate? I can see the males never trying to mate but I'd think the females would just naturally lay down eggs irregardless...If they form inside and don't get expelled, can the female die like some other species do? Iguana come to mind...

Keith Perkins
06-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Jack Wattley once said that he'd never seen anyone get better than 50% accuracy when guessing the sex of his discus...

Jack did say something like that, but it was 25 years ago. Kenny supposedly is very good at sexing young discus, and if he is I'm sure there are others. A lot has been learned about discus in the last 25 years. Heck, 25 years ago we all used undergravel filters.

...If they form inside and don't get expelled, can the female die like some other species do? Iguana come to mind...

I have read that if a female burns her tube by laying eggs on a heater tube and can become blocked and death will occur. So I believe the answer is yes.

kaceyo
06-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Why is that? Do their bodies just never "click" into producing eggs? Is there something that triggers the process like having to have a potential mate? I can see the males never trying to mate but I'd think the females would just naturally lay down eggs irregardless...If they form inside and don't get expelled, can the female die like some other species do? Iguana come to mind...

I have no idea why. I wish I did as there have been many times when the best fish, the one I wanted most to breed, wouldn't cooperate and never showed any interest in spawning. They seem healthy and behave normally in all other respects, but live a life of celibacy.:(

henward
06-21-2010, 03:21 AM
thats interesting, shame. i hope my desired strains will spawn and breed.
i was told they did spawn before and defended their eggs furiously, but, heres hoping lol

vera
06-21-2010, 03:54 AM

LOL

never had success guessing untill i c eggs laid (F) and wrigglers-its a lottery

Chinaman
06-21-2010, 04:11 AM
I use andrew soh's method and i am about 80% correct. The one that is inbetween, I put it in with a known male or female to see how they interact.

cheers

matthewh2
06-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Exactly what Discuskev said, that is how i do it now if you look closely you can see it (male more triangular and skinnier)(female wider looking and not so much pointed), but even then i do get it wrong from time to time.thought had a pair till both laid, but am getting better at distinguishing the two.