PDA

View Full Version : Albino's and I feel like a newbie

Pardal
06-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi everyone
First let me say I am not a newbie to discus and fish breeding.
I have bred sucesfully, BD, Brilliant Turq, Red Melons, Blood Pigeons and a couple of acidental weird crossing BDxBP I have partial sucess with a pair of
Blue Panda that look more like a White Butherfly :Dand then I transfer to Hawaii
and start a clean slate. and I make my match Albino's:angry:
I bought a beautiful pair of ABDt from kenny they turn out to be a true pair.
They have spawn 4 times the first two times they ate the eggs in the third day at the wriglers stage, the third time I put a grid to protect the eggs and
only a dozen of them hatch and although wriglers they never came free swimmig. The last time I wait a couple hours and went artificial` but they never became free swimming.
I attribute this to male being old, inbreeding genetics etc. but albino's they
they do exits! so it have to be a way. I have some good advise from Dale that I going to use next time around but I would like to hear from some
others experience breeders . Eddie & Vera what you think?:confused:
My water is
PH 6.2, KH 120, CHl 0, GH 75, NO2 0 NO3 0
Sincerely
Julian

NunoDinis
06-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi,

Well, i'm not Eddie nor Vera, but still i'm gonna write something on this post.
I'm Actualy breeding a pair of AlbinoYC with a red melon, and i've been reading a lot about albinos.
One of the thing's that i've read is related with the slime, albinos start to produce slime so the offspring can attach, later than other strains, that is one of the biggest problems.

People i know breed albinos with albinos intermediate, or with a brown discus, when they hatch, usually, people has a pair of other strains breeding at the same time, and exchange some fry's, between the couples.

You've got a very good post in the breeding section, its called "albino thinking tank".

Hope i could help you.
Best of luck.

Pardal
06-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks ,Sounds good
I will keep that in mind , for now I would like to get them to free swimming first, then I might try to swap the male I got a pair of 4.5 APD that are growing really fast. still albino though.

mmorris
06-20-2010, 09:39 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71884&highlight=albino+tank

When you say they never became free-swimming, do you mean they died on the cone?

Eddie
06-20-2010, 09:50 PM
LOL, flattered Julian but I don't have all the answers when it comes to breeding and especially not with Albinos. I have had the same experiences that you've gone through, in breeding my Albinos. There was only one time that I had a big spawn go free-swimming, and it was when I had left the pair on their own and went on vacation. LOL

Out of curiosity, have you tried to eliminate bacteria/parasite being the culprit? Have you cleaned the pair ever and how often do you perform water changes in the pairs tank? When you tried to go artificial, did you anything to the water such as Meth Blue or Formalin? Just trying to get some info to work with.

Eddie

vera
06-21-2010, 03:26 AM
Hi Julian ,
do u have other fry going free swimming /attached with other pairs in the same water conditiones ? it might be wter related as Eddie suggested ,otherwise i will suspect weak genes of one of the parents , had very similar case but with Snow whites , half of fry didnt go free swimming just ended up at the bottom , so i had to put water level to the dorsal of parents for fry just to bump in to them , still i find them very weak to start up

lets see what more experienced breeders will say

here is a shot of fem with very few fry

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/snowwhite.jpg

Pardal
06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71884&highlight=albino+tank

When you say they never became free-swimming, do you mean they died on the cone?

They got to wrigglers and fell from the cone, when with the parents they got
devored . and when artificial they never get up from the bottom some of then were malformed curled up. I wait for more than 7 days after the hatching.

Pardal
06-21-2010, 06:38 PM
LOL, flattered Julian but I don't have all the answers when it comes to breeding and especially not with Albinos. I have had the same experiences that you've gone through, in breeding my Albinos. There was only one time that I had a big spawn go free-swimming, and it was when I had left the pair on their own and went on vacation. LOL

Out of curiosity, have you tried to eliminate bacteria/parasite being the culprit? Have you cleaned the pair ever and how often do you perform water changes in the pairs tank? When you tried to go artificial, did you anything to the water such as Meth Blue or Formalin? Just trying to get some info to work with.

Eddie
Eddie I frequently read all of your post :D you are a humble guy:D
I did clean them with fluke tabs when I moved them to the new tank
I always use Meth blue for artificial. righ now I have a batch in which I add nitrofurazone to 1/10 (Dale sugestion) plus 3 drops meth blue. I always do daily WC to the parents about 10% and 50% if artificial after hatching I stop using RO. and use aged tap water. I on day two now crossing my fingers.

Eddie
06-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Sounds like you have a nice plan! Keep us updated on the results.

All the best Julian,

Eddie

Disgirl
06-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi Julian ,
do u have other fry going free swimming /attached with other pairs in the same water conditiones ? it might be wter related as Eddie suggested ,otherwise i will suspect weak genes of one of the parents , had very similar case but with Snow whites , half of fry didnt go free swimming just ended up at the bottom , so i had to put water level to the dorsal of parents for fry just to bump in to them , still i find them very weak to start up

Vera, that is a beautiful fish! I have never seen one like it. Did you manage to raise some of those fry? Did they look like the parents?

Julian, maybe the cones will make a good difference for you in the breeding! I will put extra "magic" into them :D.
Barb

Pardal
06-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Hi Julian ,

Vera
Unfortunally my set up is not even close to what I used to have .I just move to Hawaii end of february. and only have 4 tanks a 55g, 35g, 25g and a 10 gal I have a prospect pair of leopard classic and my APD are growing very fast but still young.I will keep that in mind for next spawn , also i got a new TFC membrane in the mail for my RO.
That pic is amazing as ussual pics speak better than words.
Thanks and I will keep you posted, they spawn last Saturday so far so good.

Pardal
06-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Vera, that is a beautiful fish! I have never seen one like it. Did you manage to raise some of those fry? Did they look like the parents?

Julian, maybe the cones will make a good difference for you in the breeding! I will put extra "magic" into them :D.
Barb

Thanks Barb:D
I need it call it superstition or what ever but I believe in a good substrate for
spawn I don't like to repeat the same one specially if went sour.
I will be looking forward for those peach & creams:D
Julian.

CliffsDiscus
06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Julian,
Try a couple of more spawns maybe you will get a stronger spawn, but it sounds like either
one or both parents may not be healthy or your pair has reach the end or near the
end of inbreeding. You may want to switch to a different male or even female. Most Discus
breeders keep at least two seperate pairs of the same line just in case one line becomes too
weak they can cross them.

I gave a Discus lecture in Honolulu and met and visit many Discus keepers, I think most
of them now belongs to the Honolulu Aquarium Society, you can meet them at their monthly
meetings, they can give you some insight of what it takes to breed Discus locally.

Mahalo!

Cliff

Pardal
06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Julian,
Try a couple of more spawns maybe you will get a stronger spawn, but it sounds like either
one or both parents may not be healthy or your pair has reach the end or near the
end of inbreeding. You may want to switch to a different male or even female. Most Discus
breeders keep at least two seperate pairs of the same line just in case one line becomes too
weak they can cross them.

I gave a Discus lecture in Honolulu and met and visit many Discus keepers, I think most
of them now belongs to the Honolulu Aquarium Society, you can meet them at their monthly
meetings, they can give you some insight of what it takes to breed Discus locally.

Mahalo!

Cliff
Thanks Cliff
I will check with them, but just in case you come back let me know.
I see a lot good aquariums keepers and of course other not so much. but definately will get in touch with local discuholics like me. and be part of the Discus Ohana.
Mahalo!