PDA

View Full Version : what should i do?

mugzy213
06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
I have wigglers that fell of the clay pot and are all caught in some weird slime coat? not sure what it is? I can't take it out with the water changes because fry are attached to the wierd dirt stuff...

any ideas?

thanks

here is a video...
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/Discus213/th_DSCN2852.jpg (http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/Discus213/?action=view&current=DSCN2852.mp4)

kaceyo
06-21-2010, 03:20 PM
First, the air is going way too hard. You want it barely running or off while fry are attaching.
This is one reason for keeping the tank spottles. Fry will get caught up in any floating clumps or tangles in the water. You can try to physically separate them from the gunk very carefully and remove it but it takes a very gentle touch.

LizStreithorst
06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Are these first time parents? They should be picking up the fry in their mouths, cleaning them, and spitting them back out. I don't know that there's much you can do. You might try Kacey's idea but this is really a job for the parents. If this spawn dosen't work out, I bet they'll get it right next time.

John_Nicholson
06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
It is nothing more then the fry are not quiter ready to go free swimming yet and they got stuck together. Its is no big deal. Air might be a little too high, but thats about it. Now my questions......

-why is there not a sponge in there? I already know the answer but I have to ask. You read on here where some "expert" said you had to take the sponge out. Make you life east and put it back. That pair should be able to turn more then dark enough to attract fry. If the sponge proves to be a problem then take it out, but not on the first several tries.

- how much water have you been changing? Once again I am sure you will get lots of "expert" answers on this one, but I recommend that you stay with your normal water changing routine though out the entire breeding process. The most important time to have clean water is when the fry are developing. It amazes me the number of people that don't cjange water during this time.

-john