PDA

View Full Version : corydora question

fireman5214
06-22-2010, 10:20 PM
hi all, i am looking into getting corydoras as a nice cleanup crew for my new 55 gallon discus tank. I know that sterbai cory's are good but then I found these as well... http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/south-american-catfish/agassizs-corydoras/100131.asp and I am confused, since discus are from the south american rivers and these cory's above are, why is the water temp scales different? http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/south-american-cichlids/discus/100017.asp Would they still be able to handle the temps of 84-85, would 2-3 degrees make that much more of a difference? Anyway im trying to make this a biotope as well trying to use fish from the amazon area or maybe any other type of safe tropical fish.

What fish are safe with discus besides those corys, i know not danios, i saw there was a post a long time ago about tetras or maybe rasboras?

what other plants are allowed to be used for the biotope? I have 5 amazon swords in the tank that were from an established aquarium already. Would it be all the echinodorus (i think i spelled it right)? Thanks in advance.

calihawker
06-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I really like these guys and they've been a great addition to my planted discus tank. Not something you find in every lfs though. They are Brochis Multiradiatus I don't know if there's a common name.

Good luck!

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/mini-DSC00343.jpg

azpunisher24
06-23-2010, 12:13 AM
just regarding cory's.

why are they so common in discus tanks?

do they help in any kind of way with the cleaness of the water?

mathao
06-23-2010, 01:03 AM
just regarding cory's.

why are they so common in discus tanks?

do they help in any kind of way with the cleaness of the water?

they eat whatever food that falls to the bottom of tank that the discus can't get too. that's what mine does.but still you have to feed them too.

Jhhnn
06-23-2010, 11:09 PM
for reasons I don't understand, discus thrive at higher temps than most other south american fishes can tolerate, temps higher than their natural habitat, apparently. The Sterbai corys are known to tolerate higher temps well, as are a few others whose names I don't recall. Hopefully some true corydoras fanciers will chime in...

It's not like other corys will drop dead overnight, but they'll perish a lot more quickly than you'd like, one at a time, when the water is marginally too warm for them. If it's way too warm, they won't last long at all.

nikond70s
06-24-2010, 03:14 AM
yeah not all cory's can tolerate the high temp. from what i been told. i believe it was from lawrence. he said that a healthy discus does not need high temps. i keep my albino discus with sterbai corys mainly because i like the way they look not cuz they can tolerate high temps. and i also have panda cory's. my temp is between 78-80 degree's and everyones happy.

as for plants, most common and popular plants are amazon swords along with other swords and vals like jungle vals. those look great for an amazon theme. in my personal experience if u dont have good flow and have dead spots. hair algae will grow on the plants.

pcsb23
06-24-2010, 05:14 AM
I have found the following do well at discus temps, all others tend to burn out a bit quick ime, sterbai, gossei, seussei and adolphoi. hth.

calihawker
06-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I've had my Brochis now for over 2 years and they seem to be fine in 82-84 temps.

HTH
Steve

Willie
06-25-2010, 05:40 PM
All my tanks have schools of corys. Corydoras species that can handle discus temperatures (84F for at least a year) include sterbai, acuatus, panda (adults only), adolphi, julii, loxozonus, davidsandii and, of course, aeneus.

Willie

Discus master
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
yeah not all cory's can tolerate the high temp. from what i been told. i believe it was from lawrence. he said that a healthy discus does not need high temps. i keep my albino discus with sterbai corys mainly because i like the way they look not cuz they can tolerate high temps. and i also have panda cory's. my temp is between 78-80 degree's and everyones happy.

as for plants, most common and popular plants are amazon swords along with other swords and vals like jungle vals. those look great for an amazon theme. in my personal experience if u dont have good flow and have dead spots. hair algae will grow on the plants.

From what I have read in books discus can survive at the normal 78 80 degrees but they thrive at temps between 82 -88 and fom wht this book said is that they are more easily able to get sick if kept below 82f and ablve that temp there is amarked improvment in their ability to with stand such illness. I play it safe and keep them at a steady 85f
but everyone is diferent I suppose if it works for you why change??

PamC
06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
"What fish are safe with discus besides those corys, i know not danios, i saw there was a post a long time ago about tetras or maybe rasboras?"
A school of any of these would work in a 55
Rummy Nose, Pristella, Diamond, Cardinal, Head & Taillights are popular tetra choices, also some pencil fish can tolerate low 80's temps.
A single Bristle Nose Pleco will help keep the tank cleaned of algae and they stay small.
Brochis splendens also does well at 84-degree.

“I am confused, since discus are from the south american rivers and these cory's above are, why is the water temp scales different? “
Simple answer is micro-climates within the Amazon River system, very much like any river system, on any continent. The fish have evolved, and are accustomed to it’s own micro-climate. I believe the broadness of the recommended temp ranges can be explained, as the low temp in the rainy season and the high temp in the dry season.

fireman5214
07-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Simple answer is micro-climates within the Amazon River system, very much like any river system, on any continent. The fish have evolved, and are accustomed to it’s own micro-climate. I believe the broadness of the recommended temp ranges can be explained, as the low temp in the rainy season and the high temp in the dry season.

thanks for that answer, i should have known that, had marine biology in 10th grade. ;)