PDA

View Full Version : ph of water

springer
06-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Any help suggestioms or advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is my problem. I have had a moderate success in breeding discus and raising the fry. Our water used to be ph of 7.2 with this and a tds of 100 my discus would lay eggs on a regular basis. Now our water has been changed and we have a ph around 8 to 8.4 why this has happend is not known. At this high of a ph of course no eggs would hatch or only a few. To get my ph down I used nutrafin ph down and r/o water. I can keep my ph at a constant 6.5 with a tds at 90. When I use this chemical my discus have no desire to breed or lay eggs. How may I correct this.

Rex82
06-23-2010, 03:15 AM
dont worry about the ph down and just do the ro water mix to get tds, conductivity right. the ph will follow and you will find your fish will too

XeBurnout
06-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Absolutely concur. You probably have a little hardness in there and knocking your conductivity down will do you a world of good.

Don't forget in many places water chemistry changes throughout the year particularity in places that go through all four seasons. For instance where I live the thaw at the end of winter is very harsh. All the runoff combined with the salt that was used on the roads is always a rough patch to get over.

Good luck.

Phil

NunoDinis
06-23-2010, 05:36 AM
+1,

I Had discus spawning in PH 7,4... with a low tds, oh and they hatched...

milnek
06-24-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't like to play around with the PH especially with those PH up and down chemicals. What I do is to add peat moss in my canister filter and remove the it after my discus has spawn. The best is to let your discus get use to the PH.

springer
06-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the advice on peat moss. I have 2 small bags floating in the water but no change in ph noticed. The ph is now 8.2 and the tds is 85. I can get the tds down to 60 but I don't think any eggs will hatch in that high of a ph.

Jayhawk
06-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Eggs will hatch in high PH in my experience. Somewheres around 8 is fine