PDA

View Full Version : White Crusty Build-Up on Tank Appliances

Bree7
06-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Anyone know how to clean it off? I know it's harmless, but still rather unsightly. It's mostly on my filters, and a little on my plastic hoods. A bleach/water combo maybe? Or vinegar? Any success getting this stuff off?

Discus master
06-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Anyone know how to clean it off? I know it's harmless, but still rather unsightly. It's mostly on my filters, and a little on my plastic hoods. A bleach/water combo maybe? Or vinegar? Any success getting this stuff off?

I would be hesitant to use bleach around my tank aat all, I just use a microfiber cloth dip a corner of it in the aquarium water and thats it, it may not be spotless but I feel safer not using any chemicals around my tank.

I think there is a spray thats safe for that kind of things and the glass hood filter covers everything safe for aquarium use at that fish place just a bottle of whatever but I would feel safer using that I do not know how much it is I am sure it not to expensive.

Jhhnn
06-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I use muriatic acid from the home center, but strongly caution anybody who intends to do so. The stuff is really nasty, dangerous, and must be used outdoors with suitable protective gear- rubber gloves, eye protection, charcoal filter respirator, running water immediately available. Old clothes, too, as any speck of acid will create a hole in them. Read and heed the instructions and the MSDS...

Definitely annihilates calcium deposits. The deposits sometimes etch themselves into the glass, so removal may not provide completely clear results. Doesn't harm glass, pvc, or silicone seal. Rinse thoroughly with running water.

Soaking in vinegar helps, if you have enough of it and are very patient. Bleach won't touch calcium deposits.

Kev_B
06-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Vinegar (dont get any in the tank and rinse everything well b4 putting back)and a little elbow grease have worked great for me.

zamboniMan
06-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Vinegar (dont get any in the tank and rinse everything well b4 putting back)and a little elbow grease have worked great for me.

I agree. Only lose the muriatic acid if you can't get it cleaned off with vinegar. I've used both and the vinegar works just as well if you scrub. Sometimes however, vinegar is just not strong enough but always use the muriatic acid as a last resort for your own safety.

Bree7
06-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys!

I used vinegar and baking soda and it did the job decently.
I finished it off with a razor and for the most part, I think it turned out pretty good! I try to stay away from acids that can burn a hole in my skin, haha... not to mention what that would do to a fish if it wasn't rinsed well enough!

CliffsDiscus
06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
You can use Lime-Away or a product from Jungle call Lime Off, remove white scale deposits.

Cliff