PDA

View Full Version : While waiting for fry to attach!

jaykne
06-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Have a batch of wiggler just go free swimming, so just have an air stone going very very low in a 29g. Parents are new so taking a while, how long can I leave air stone that low, if I turn it up at all the fry attrack to it. Thanks for any help. Larry

LizStreithorst
06-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I have never changed anything in my tanks while breeding. My fry always attached immediatly. If yours aren't, try lowering the water level to just above the parent's dorsal fins.

jaykne
06-26-2010, 07:56 PM
I have never changed anything in my tanks while breeding. My fry always attached immediatly. If yours aren't, try lowering the water level to just above the parent's dorsal fins.

I have tried past 3 times and male turns light and starts eating the fry and the female is Albino, the male stays really dark and starts letting fry attach but if I drop the water he goes light and starts eating them. Please repley if you can thanks.

roclement
06-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Lower the water before the fry hatch so the male senses no change in the enviroment.

SInce you already have fry, try turning the lights off and lowering the water very slowly, once you reach the level you want bring the lights back on.

Just an idea, not a proven method.

Rodrigo

deepflyball
06-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Keep your fingers crosed. sometimes fry take 2 or 3 days to catch a ride. Good luck Jerry

jaykne
06-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the ideas I will leave them alone for another day and if the don't attach then I will try Rodrigo's idea sounds like a good one sence I know that is what it is change in the enviroment, this male does not like anything changed in his tank. Larry

David Rose
06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
What strain(s) are you pair? PBs/light color can be more challenging. Lowering the water level to just above their dorsal fins can help and keep a light on to cast a shadow at night from a side angle.

What are the parents and fry doing? May sound like an odd question, but are they all rather independent, fry skimming the bottom of the tank, are one or both parents settled touching the bottom....?

Sometimes it just takes awhile. Personally, I only turn down the flow of my sponges for a few hours when I first notice the fry are starting to go free swimming.

jaykne
06-27-2010, 10:28 AM
What strain(s) are you pair? PBs/light color can be more challenging. Lowering the water level to just above their dorsal fins can help and keep a light on to cast a shadow at night from a side angle.

What are the parents and fry doing? May sound like an odd question, but are they all rather independent, fry skimming the bottom of the tank, are one or both parents settled touching the bottom....?

Sometimes it just takes awhile. Personally, I only turn down the flow of my sponges for a few hours when I first notice the fry are starting to go free swimming.

Hey David the male is a Leopard and female an Albino, the fry are at the top and the parents staying near the bottom, right now the male is very dark but fry are not coming down. This is their 3rd spawn and I have found out the hard way if I change anything in the tank like lowering the water the male will turn light and just swim all over then start eating the free swimmers, I have just a air stone in the tank and have it turned down very very low kind of worried about that, turned it down last night, if I turn it up the fry go to that side of the tank. The water level is not at the top about 20% down from removing any waste over last couple days and do have a couple that came down and take a bite of the male once in a while but got about 100 just swimming or floating at the surface. Thanks for any help you can provide don't want to lose the spawn again. Larry

David Rose
06-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Depending on how long they have been free swimming, you can give them more time or if I may suggest using a drip tube to lower the water level slowly just above the dorsal fins. The drip tube should be unobtrusive and drain slowly enough not to alarm the parents. This is what I would do, but you know the parents tolerance level. Just watch for any signs of stress.

jaykne
06-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Depending on how long they have been free swimming, you can give them more time or if I may suggest using a drip tube to lower the water level slowly just above the dorsal fins. The drip tube should be unobtrusive and drain slowly enough not to alarm the parents. This is what I would do, but you know the parents tolerance level. Just watch for any signs of stress.

The female is now going to the top and trying to catch them and put them back on the cone, I wonder if they are just not ready yet been 2 and a half days and still have egg sack under them. This has always seemed to be a problem with this female, eggs don't stick well, probably because she is Albino. What do you think about the air and how long do you think I can leave it like that? I will try that the drip tube see if I can get the water level down a little more just hope the male does not go nuts again. Thanks David, please let me know whar you think about air if you can. Larry

David Rose
06-27-2010, 02:25 PM
You might want to PM Eddie or Martha. They both have worked with Albinos and may have some tricks up their sleeves from their experience.

If it's been almost three days, chances for attaching may not be good regrettably for this spawn. Sorry... on the next spawn you may want to time lowering the water the day before they normally go free swimming.

I would start turning the air back up gradually.