PDA

View Full Version : could it be the water?

utiliy
06-27-2010, 09:17 AM
since i moved-my pair hasnt been raising the fry. i have another pair that raised them in just plain top-tds about 180-ph 7.
the red pair lay and have wigglers-but eat them. maybe the water-or maybe stressed on raising them. only have 3 from the last spawn.
my newly pair that raised them in the tap have since eaten the egs once so i put the good old gutter guard back on and now the eggs are wigglers...wonder what they will do when the mesh is removed?

jaykne
06-27-2010, 09:33 AM
TDS of 180 is pretty high for breeding I keep mine at 40-60 TDS. Larry

William Palumbo
06-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Sounds like it's a thing with your actual fish. If they are spawning, and the eggs are hatching, then your water seems fine. Some Discus pairs will, for whatever reason, quit being good parents...then go back to normal...sometimes not...Bill

utiliy
06-30-2010, 06:32 AM
the newest pair fry are now attached...the red pair laid heavy...and i am waiting to see what they do this time around. i understand about the tds being to high-but the new pair raised them without a problem.
i took the water to about 70 tds in the red pairs tank-ph around 6. got the gutter guard on there cone for the eggs till i get wigglers.
maybe this is the time i do the egg yolk theory....raising them on my own-or should i wait to see how this batch works out?
since i moved here the red pair have not raised fry...going on 4 spawns now.

mmorris
06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
How long ago did you move? I'm confused as to the spawning history of the red pair. Have they ever raised fry? Did they lay eggs and eat them before the move? It's hard to advise without knowing this. Did you use RO to lower the tds?

utiliy
07-01-2010, 07:13 AM
been here about 3 months i guess. lived in an apt. with tds out of tap over 500. here out of tap its around 160. the reds have raised plenty of fry. at this time there fry are wigglers and gutter guard removed.
i used ro for the lower tds in the red pair. the newly couple raised one batch in tap right out of the sink-no kidding.
the red pair on the last few spawns have had the wigglers to free swimming-then have lunch with them. they have raised plenty of juveniles-just since we moved here they havent.
i got pictures of the new pair and fry-but it says there too big to post on here.

mmorris
07-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I assume the pairs are in their own tanks? It is possible that they are still adjusting to the water but it seems like it's been a while...Do you know which fish is eating the fry? If not, I would remove the female as she is often the culprit.

utiliy
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
yes both pairs have their own tank...the newly pair fry have already attached. the red pair-the ones who have not raised any since i moved here have wigglers and the parents for now seem to be taken care of them. should be free swimming fri-hopefully attached soon afterwards-if they-or her dont get hungry.

mmorris
07-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Fingers crossed! Let us know how it goes. :)

chaoslite
07-02-2010, 02:12 AM
i got pictures of the new pair and fry-but it says there too big to post on here.

Utiliy,

Go to the link below and you can re-size your images.

http://www.sumopaint.com/home/

You click on where it says "Open Sumo Paint and start fooling around!" It will take a few moments to load the page. If you need further instructions from there, send me a PM and I can give you step by step instructions.:D

Good luck with the fry.

Mishka

utiliy
07-02-2010, 10:04 AM
few pics

utiliy
07-02-2010, 10:37 AM
few more...the red pair are the old pair...

utiliy
07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
the newly formed pair...

utiliy
07-02-2010, 10:39 AM
thx for the info on for the picture site...took me a little time-but im not a computer wizzz.

utiliy
07-03-2010, 09:47 AM
better pics if fry attached to dad...

DiscusKev
07-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Look pretty interesting, too bad your pictures are too small to view them properly :(

utiliy
07-07-2010, 03:52 AM
well...looking into seperating the red pair. never done this before. have an eggcrate seperating them..but the fry go to her side and dont attach. the dad has them attached.
question is-just throw her into a community tank after making sure water perimeters are close to exact?

mmorris
07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
well...looking into seperating the red pair. never done this before. have an eggcrate seperating them..but the fry go to her side and dont attach. the dad has them attached.
question is-just throw her into a community tank after making sure water perimeters are close to exact?

That's what I would do. Separating with egg crate is pretty pointless if one eats the fry. Good luck!

utiliy
07-13-2010, 06:49 AM
well the last go around didnt work...but they laid again yesturday. when do i seperate the female? there both guarding the eggs for the time being...fanning them...i been feeding them more than i probably should-but there both eating it up.

David Rose
07-13-2010, 09:40 PM
well the last go around didnt work...but they laid again yesturday. when do i seperate the female? there both guarding the eggs for the time being...fanning them...i been feeding them more than i probably should-but there both eating it up.

How do you manage feedings when the wrigglers go free swimming and still maintain good water quality?

utiliy
07-14-2010, 02:19 AM
i siphon out just the waste on the bottom of tank and refill with tap...probably 2-3 gallons at the most.
something is in the water here in southern ill-as i stated before-they breed in plain tap.
my other pair laid eggs today.
just wondering when to seperate the female-i have to do something-kind of at the point i could drown them if they dont raise this batch!

mmorris
07-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Separate the female before the point at which she (or he!) normally eat the fry. Keep up the water changes.

David Rose
07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
+1