PDA

View Full Version : Need help on vacation feeding!!!

kt911
06-28-2010, 04:39 AM
Hi, I need to be out of town for 4 days, and I got 6 discuss from 2.5 to 3.5" big. I was looking at the automatic feeder, but it only work with dried food. Unfortunately, all of them don't eat dried food, they only take frozen and live blood worms. It would be highly appreciated if anyone could give me some advises of what to do?
Thanks

halo_demo
06-28-2010, 04:57 AM
I don't know near enough to say this is the correct answer, but I read somewhere on here that if you have picky eaters, you could fast them for a day in order to get them to try other things. You could try that, and then feed them the flake of choice and see how that works.

Eddie
06-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Your gonna have to train them to eat dry foods if you want to use an autofeeder. I am sure Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms would do well in the loose form.

Eddie

discusscotland
06-28-2010, 08:16 AM
For 4 days , they will be fine by themselves.
They will be hungry , but happy to see you when you get back, but remember not to feed too much as they will gorge themselves ;)

scottthomas
06-28-2010, 09:09 AM
I would not feed them for 4 days. They will be a little hungry but wont starve in just 4 days.

DerekFF
06-28-2010, 11:24 AM
4 days would be ok with no food. And then when you come back feed them flake food!!!!

kt911
06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you all for your advises, now I feel better for not feeding them for 4 days. I will train them to eat the dried food from now on.
Once again, thank you all.....

Keith Perkins
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
At 2.5" to 3.5" my juvies eat like absolute pigs and I'd be very reluctant to not feed them anything for four days. Yes, I'm sure they'd still be alive and everything when you got back, but I still wouldn't personally not feed them anything for four days. I'd take Eddie's suggestion and put some Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms and a little flake in the autofeeder so they'd have something to eat while you're gone.

Eddie
07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
At 2.5" to 3.5" my juvies eat like absolute pigs and I'd be very reluctant to not feed them anything for four days. Yes, I'm sure they'd still be alive and everything when you got back, but I still wouldn't personally not feed them anything for four days. I'd take Eddie's suggestion and put some Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms and a little flake in the autofeeder so they'd have something to eat while you're gone.

Agree 100%, juvies need to keep growing and keep being fed. Depending on your system though, the water quality might get set back. At least once a day would be better than none at all for juveniles. Adults, hell.....they can go well over a month with no food if they are healthy.

Eddie