PDA

View Full Version : BN Pleco in Breeder tank?

DaydreamDiscus
06-28-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking about throwing in a bushy nose in the 29 gallon breeder tank..

Wanted to hear people's experience on keeping them with breeders in a bare bottom tank? What size tank, how big of BN pleco?

And most importantly, what do you feed them suckers? I don't want to put in driftwood and keep it bare bottom and clean, and don't want to throw in cucumber slices..

Do they do well off just eating left over food? (from the pair)

Thanks,
James F.

Moon
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Not a good idea. The plecos will eat the eggs at night.

Harriett
06-29-2010, 01:00 PM
I tried that and the pair killed the pleco...on 2 occasions. That was enough for me.
Best regards,
Harriett

John_Nicholson
06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I have never had a problem with them eating the eggs, but I leave a light on 24/7. I do have some pairs that will kill the plecos. I don't do it often, but when I have it has never been a big problem.

-john

mmorris
06-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Why do you want to add bnp to a breeding tank? I would think they would just add unnecessary bio-load. If it's so you don't need to wipe down the inside of the tank, well, it's not that big a chore. :)

DaydreamDiscus
06-30-2010, 01:45 PM
@mmorris - Just to help out with left over food and algae, etc.

I found an old thread, it seems 50/50 as to whether it can be done or not. Seems most folks didn't have a problem with them eating the eggs as the parents guarded them well with a light on all night.

I will pass on the bn pleco for now until I feel like it's almost a need..

Thanks for the answers. I've kept Bn in regular discus tanks all the time with no troubles, just curious about with breeding pairs.

- James F.

Elite Aquaria
07-01-2010, 05:46 AM
James,

Like John I also use BN plecos in all my breeding tanks. I have never had a problem with them eating the eggs. Most of the time they are hiding under the sponge filter. I have never had one killed by a pair yet.

kaceyo
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
I also keep BN's in my breeding tanks. Never lost one or had them eat eggs, though I wonder if sometimes they don't munch on a few fry if the fry cluster into the bottom edges or corners as they sometimes do before attaching.
Never caught them at it, but when fry are slowly disappearing and I don't see the parents doing it, I wonder.

mmorris
07-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I also keep BN's in my breeding tanks. Never lost one or had them eat eggs, though I wonder if sometimes they don't munch on a few fry if the fry cluster into the bottom edges or corners as they sometimes do before attaching.
Never caught them at it, but when fry are slowly disappearing and I don't see the parents doing it, I wonder.

LOL Kacey. :laugh: