PDA

View Full Version : Tile Slabs

Bree7
06-29-2010, 03:57 PM
How do I know if some tile I have stored in my garage is aquarium safe? I heard of some kind of test once, but I want to make sure before I use it that it's all good. Also, how would you disinfect it? boil? Bake? Soak? I've got a couple ideas for a new tank... :)

zamboniMan
06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
How do I know if some tile I have stored in my garage is aquarium safe? I heard of some kind of test once, but I want to make sure before I use it that it's all good. Also, how would you disinfect it? boil? Bake? Soak? I've got a couple ideas for a new tank... :)

To disinfect I would scrape it really heavily with a razor blade, the wash it with a hot bleach bath scrubbing thoroughly, then rinse REALLY WELL.

As for aquarium safe I'd put a piece in water and let it sit for a month or two periodically checking water chemistry. If at the end of that period it's still intact (none of the surface appears dissolved, etc) and the water chemistry didn't change then it's probably okay to use.

Hope that helps,
Josh

nc0gnet0
06-29-2010, 08:04 PM
What kind of tile is it? Ceramic, porcelin or natural stone?

Jhhnn
06-29-2010, 08:49 PM
I'd run 'em through the dishwasher- first time with detergent, then again using plain water. Then soak 'em in plain water for a few days, because both ceramic and stone are somewhat porous... I'm sure some think I'm nuts, but it works great for nets, filter parts, anything that'll fit... Good dishwasher detergents are loaded with bleach, acting as a disinfectant...

With most stuff, you need to be able to turn off the heated dry cycle, because it'll melt/distort plastic, but even that should be OK for tile...

I wouldn't use any that had cement on it, or marble tile, which is metamorphosed limestone. The chemical composition is unchanged...

nc0gnet0
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Interesting, I have soaked marble tile in RO water for 10 days and no change in PH. I actually use it in one of my tanks with no issue. I prefer the looks of slate, but that is darker......

Jhhnn
06-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Interesting, I have soaked marble tile in RO water for 10 days and no change in PH. I actually use it in one of my tanks with no issue. I prefer the looks of slate, but that is darker......

Try it again, checking the hardness rather than pH...

Lots of commercially available marble is actually cultured marble, polyester resin and stone chips which is basically sealed, so it won't act like real marble in water, either...

nc0gnet0
06-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Can't remember the last time I checked my hardness.......I check my TDS daily however. But, with the amount of my water changes I do, I doubt it adds much if anything to the water. Generally, but not always, an increase in hardness would result in a ph swing. The fact it coud sit in pure RODI water without impacting the ph or tds for a few days made me fairly confident. Now, with with travertine tile I tried, the ph swing and TDS increase was almost instantaneous. Very well could be that there are differences in marble depending on origin as well.

nc0gnet0
06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
The chemical composition is unchanged...

While true, I don't think it can leach into the water as easily, if at all. Metamorphic rock is rock which has be recrystalized under intense heat and pressure. If we do this to sand, we get glass. If we do this to limestone, we get marble. Glass doesn't break down into sand when subjected to water......

But hey, I have only tested one type of marble.

Keith Perkins
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I've used ceramic tiles for making sponge filters and PVC spawning sites for quite some time and never had any kinds of problems. I think tiles are a very good and greatly under used material for all sorts of aquarium projects.

joshuajames
07-01-2010, 01:25 PM
i wonder if you could tile an entire aquarium.except the front of course.using sand in silicone for grout.or something along those lines.would look nicer then the average bb brown and blue.a lot more designs and colors to choose from then spray paint.kind of off subject but you cold actually build a slanted tile box rite in the middle of the aquarium for the fish to lay eggs on that is an actual part of the tank.anybody ever seen it done?

Bree7
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
i wonder if you could tile an entire aquarium.except the front of course.using sand in silicone for grout.or something along those lines.would look nicer then the average bb brown and blue.a lot more designs and colors to choose from then spray paint.kind of off subject but you cold actually build a slanted tile box rite in the middle of the aquarium for the fish to lay eggs on that is an actual part of the tank.anybody ever seen it done?

Haha, that is kind of my plan... I am going to coat each tile in silicone and dip them in sand so that the top surface is covered in white sand. Then I'm going to put them in the tank to make a fake sand bed that works as a bare bottom :) I'm only doing the bottom, though, not the sides. But cool idea!

Bree7
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Well, I have lots of different kinds of tiles. I didn't actually buy it, it all came as extras with the house, but I know that I have some granite, probably some marble, and some just unglazed and glazed ceramic. I assumed it would all be safe as long as I baked/boiled it? I can post a picture of each type of tile so that maybe you guys will be able to tell what I have better than I can.

Altum Nut
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Not sure if any one would agree with me... it does sound like a neat idea.
However, you may find that food and fish poop will find a way to settle under the tile just like under gravel filter plates. If you want a sand bottom....why not put a sand bottom, this way nothing will get threw and will be simple to vacuum.
Now if you want to take tiles out when you vacuum bottom that will be extra work and will stir up the settled residue.

Just my 2 cents.
...Ralph

nc0gnet0
07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Not sure if any one would agree with me... it does sound like a neat idea.
However, you may find that food and fish poop will find a way to settle under the tile just like under gravel filter plates. If you want a sand bottom....why not put a sand bottom, this way nothing will get threw and will be simple to vacuum.
Now if you want to take tiles out when you vacuum bottom that will be extra work and will stir up the settled residue.

Just my 2 cents.
...Ralph

That is why you use aquarium silicone just like you would use grout. Otherwise, your right it would.

Haha, that is kind of my plan... I am going to coat each tile in silicone and dip them in sand so that the top surface is covered in white sand. Then I'm going to put them in the tank to make a fake sand bed that works as a bare bottom I'm only doing the bottom, though, not the sides. But cool idea!

Don't do this, in thin layers the siicone will delaminate from the tile. If this is the look you want there are alot better ways to go about it.

http://store.creative-wholesale.com/Home/tabid/118/ProductID/42/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=Free3%20DESC,ProductName

Use this and then sprinkle some sand on it. No need for the tile in this case.

Your main concern with tile is if it will breakdown in water and raise your GH and PH. Most anything that contains limestone will do this. Marble, in my limited expeirance is the exception. Slate is another option. I am not sure about porcelin and ceramic, I would be a little concerned with the glaze, but I don't know for sure.