PDA

View Full Version : Eggs are layed but not fertile

jrodriguez
06-29-2010, 08:35 PM
They have been attending the eggs for 2 day about 48 hours.90 percent of them are white.should I let them eat the eggs off the cone or should i remove them myself ? This is there third attempt.the pair of pigeon bloods are still learning how to be parents and the male finally, so i thought fertilized the eggs. The reason i'm questioning this is because, I'm afraid they will start eating the eggs all the time. any input would help!
ph 7.0
kh 80
gh 60
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
temp 86

jrodriguez
06-29-2010, 10:29 PM
can anyone help?

Altum Nut
06-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Hi rodriguez,

First of all...do you know for sure the other one is a male?
Secondly...I wouldn’t worry to much about them eating the eggs.
They will keep laying.....and the first sign after 24-36 hrs you notice eggs are still orange...you can mesh guard the eggs if they are laying on a cone.
You may also want to drop the temp a bit to 82F.
If you haven't done so...try to aim the conductivity between 80-150ppm.

Good luck with them and I'm sure other's may offer some better advise.

...Ralph

John_Nicholson
06-30-2010, 09:45 AM
First I would say relax. It is no big deal one way or the other. Fish have a brain that is tiny, they don't really learn much. Spawning is controlled by instinct and not intellect.

-john

jrodriguez
06-30-2010, 12:09 PM
thanks guys information I had left the eggs alone and this morning I'm happy, no ecstatic to say that they hatched about 20 of them yepee!!!!!!!!!!

mmorris
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Well alright! That's great news! Just beware that the parents may eat them because there are so few. But even if they do, there will be another batch. Congratulations! :)