PDA

View Full Version : Planning a planted tank.

kitykatfunkiehat
07-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Okay, so I'm starting to think about how I want to aquascape my 55g show tank. Well....my only discus tank :) but I have no idea how I want to start with it or what I want to do with it. So that's why I have come to you guys! I do have some specs and starter ideas for you guys so it will hopefully be easier for suggestions.

My tank is just a standard 55 gallon. I have 4 adults in it currently but i plan to put two more into it soon. I don't have special lighting, just a pinkish coralife bulb i think, which i don't like at all. I have awful gravel that i plan to exchange for some pretty white pool filter sand...unless you have better ideas! I do have experience with planted tanks, I have a 29g community tank that has anubias and crypts and other easy plants. I have flourite under my gravel and i just dose with excel for carbon.

This is relatively close to how i would like to set up my discus tank...low maintenance plants! Maybe 1-1.5 wpg of lighting..but i need good suggestions for bulbs! I only have one fixture. Also, would i need to use root tabs with the sand? I want a really nice centerpiece wood, so suggestions for that would be nice too :)

I think lastly i need good suggestions for plants that will survive the heat and be fine with only excel being used. Annnnddddd some actual ideas of how to rearrange the furnishings! That's the part I'm worst at :(

Thanks guys!!!!!

DiscusLoverJeff
07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Hello,

I recently setup a 95 gallon wave tank with plants. I got started right here with suggestions from other members. I also looked at various websites and read a ton of threads regarding this issue. As I browsed, I saw tons of pictures and each one gave me the idea that I came up with for mine.

I purchased my plants from http://www.azgardens.com/ because they had a good reputation and they specialized in low tech planted/discus tanks. Check out the Discus habitats and what plants you will get as I did

http://www.azgardens.com/c-65-discus-aquarium-plant-habitat-packages.aspx

The substrate I use is Eco-Complete which is black and it added to the look I was going for. You white pool sand I saw on a list as a good substrate but I am not sure if it is for all types of plants.

Good luck and can't wait to see pictures.

DiscusLoverJeff

zamboniMan
07-03-2010, 12:18 AM
1) Don't plan! Pick out plants you find interesting from foreground, midground, and background plants. If you it catches your attention chances are you won't be bored with it.

2) Arrange anything that catches your fancy until you find something you like.

3) Don't worry about following "the rules". If you like what you end up with thats all that matter.

4) Most importantly have fun :D

Good luck!
Josh

Wahter
07-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Did you check out the AGA Aquascaping Contest? I am pretty sure these will all be 'high tech' tanks with CO2 injection, but it will at least give you some ideas on plants and layout.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010.cgi

Pick a year at the top, choose a size, and then view the entries.

Walter

kitykatfunkiehat
07-04-2010, 05:55 PM
I just want like, a general idea mostly of how I want the tank to look. I do need plant suggestions because I have been reading that some plants do not stand the heat, and I don't want to waste money on ones that will melt.
How about good sources for centerpiece wood also?

babakaty
07-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey Jenna,

Remember all the gut-wrenching ups and downs we all went through when we first got discus? Well, there are just as many (or more) variables with plants. If I were you, I'd get on plantedtank.net or barrreport.com or APC or any of the other planted tank websites and read, read, read, and ask lots of questions; just like on Simply. I'm constantly amazed at how much I still don't know about plants, even after 10 years.

discuspaul
07-11-2010, 11:28 PM
To: Kittykatfunkyhat
I have a similar-sized planted discus tank & have the following plants which are doing exceedingly well:
Hogrophila (2 types)
Ludwigia ( 2 types)
Java Fern
3 types of swords - some corkscrew val
Also, 2 large pieces of well-aged driftwood.
I maintain 86 F. - PH 7.0 - Nitrates always < 5, - W/C's 50% every 2nd day - for 6 juvie discus -
Use Flourish Excel evey second day (min. recommended - less than 1 capful) - NO Algae !
I have to prune plants weekly to maintain great looks !
No CO 2, no other ferts -
Crystal clear water - w/ HOB filter w/ fibre pads, floss, & Purigen.
Works for me !

Ibenu
07-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Blyxa, P. stellatus as well as rottala willichi have all done great with the requirements you have. I was surprised how well they have done for me..

discuspaul
07-18-2010, 10:48 PM
kitykatfunkiehat:
Have a look at the first sticky in this section: "Aquascaping Critique" - (if you haven't already looked at it) - See second posting by nornicle - go to his planted tank after adding the discus - I think this is a beautiful contrast of discus strain & green aquascape - which is somewhat low-tech/minimalist - but effective !
Not sure what the substrate is - but I feel certain that pool filter silica sand would look gorgeous with an aquascape along these lines.
Best of luck!
Paul

waj8
07-26-2010, 06:46 PM
My favorite plant in my Discus tank is Pogostemon helferi. Not really a difficult plant but it really looks nice.