PDA

View Full Version : Sand-dark-light-pool sand-play sand??

Discus master
07-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I am looking into adding a thin layer of sand substrate to my discus tank, was wondering what is safe and what is best for showing the discus colors?

I have heard that both pool filter sand as well as play sand is safe, and I have also heard that darker colors like the black sand would bring out their colors more and that lighter colored sand would only make your discus look washed out, of course if you go with the darker sand then I do not think you can get pool filter sand or play sand you would have to pay for the higher priced aquarium sand at the LFS?

any thoughts? suggestions??

I also am wondering about drift wood to finish it off with, thoughts there?

jball1125
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I use pool filter sand. Play sand is way too fine and is always floating everywhere, black sand might cause your pigeon blood to pepper. I have tank full of turqs and the light colored sand does not make them looked washed out. I guess it depends on what strains you have.

Discus master
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I use pool filter sand. Play sand is way too fine and is always floating everywhere, black sand might cause your pigeon blood to pepper. I have tank full of turqs and the light colored sand does not make them looked washed out. I guess it depends on what strains you have.

I have 2 turqs 1 cobalt 1 snake skin I think it is a red 1 blue diamond and a royal blue discus

I just thought with the lihter colored discus that it would make the looked washed out but you say not?

jball1125
07-01-2010, 01:46 PM
For some reason I though you had a pigeon blood... In my case, none of my discus look washed. I have light colored pool sand and a brown background.

Discus master
07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
For some reason I though you had a pigeon blood... In my case, none of my discus look washed. I have light colored pool sand and a brown background.

Nope not unless the Red Turq's have some pb in them? but there is zero pepering so I kind of doubted it. So are you saying then I should be safe with using the pool filter sand washed out of course? also do you feel your fish would show better if the sand were of the darker varitey? I thought that they might but then I also thought it may make my aqurium look boxed in??

jball1125
07-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Im not sure how they would look if the sand was darker. Im sure that they would probably darken up a bit. I like my tank how it is right now and wouldnt think of changing it. One thing to consider with darker sand is that you cant see the poop, that can be apealing to the eye but it will also lower your chances of removing all the poop when you vacume.

If you decide to go with the dark sand; make sure that it is safe and doesnt mess with your pH..

Discus master
07-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Im not sure how they would look if the sand was darker. Im sure that they would probably darken up a bit. I like my tank how it is right now and wouldnt think of changing it. One thing to consider with darker sand is that you cant see the poop, that can be apealing to the eye but it will also lower your chances of removing all the poop when you vacume.

If you decide to go with the dark sand; make sure that it is safe and doesnt mess with your pH..

Good point, I know that it should not contain any calcium or any ph buffering properties either. You did make a good point about being harder to see the fish waste, so maybe a light colored san would be best in that case?

I do think a darker substrate would bring out the colors a bit more but I would rather be able to see what I am cleaning, besides the pool filter sand is pretty cheap and it must be safe because I have heard from a number of members who use it.

I am not having a planted tank or anything just some drift wood and a few of those floating plastic plant on the surface that kind of drap down into the water, and a few of those fake plants that can be suction cuped to the back wall other than that thats the tank I am planning out rite now I have two of the floating plants for cover and shade but its all BB with no driiftwood as of yet I am buying my first bit of drift wood after work today.

Having said all of that what do you think would be good as far as depth is concerned? just barelly enough to cover the bottom? I was thinking maybe a qurter inch to halh an inch in depth no more.

jball1125
07-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Right between quarter inch and half inch should be perfect.

Discus master
07-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Right between quarter inch and half inch should be perfect.

ok I may buy the pool filter sand today any thoughts on how to put it in the already filled with water and discus tank? you know with out having sand fly everywhere? turn the filters and air stone off was my first thought but how to actually get it in there?

jball1125
07-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I would remove the discus then remove as much water as possible, add the sand, fill it back up then once it clears put your discus in. Another trick I have used is put all the sand inside of a big white garbage bag then put the garbage bag in the tank and drop it to the floor then poke a hole in the bottom and very slowly lift the bag. The sand settles pretty nicely that way and you don't have to remove your fish. Make sure you really rinse the sand befoe putting it in, it will help alot with the clouding of the water.

carkichi
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Hello

I rinsed the sand in a bucket until the water is clear. I scooped the sand with a small plastic container and gently placed in the tank. It worked for me.

Discus master
07-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Hello

I rinsed the sand in a bucket until the water is clear. I scooped the sand with a small plastic container and gently placed in the tank. It worked for me.

Yeah I have seen a youtube video of someone doing this it seem to work for them I was wondering if any tried this method

Use a large bucket stick a hose in it and run it it untill the water comes out clear, can I do this in the shower with my hose attachment? it in the basemen about 25 feet from the tank?

Then use a plastic cup get a scoop of it and cover it with my hand and slowly pour it in starting at one corner of the aquarium?

(I think I like this idea better than the garbage bag idea just because i will have better control over the amount of sand I am putting in if I was using an UGF and wanted a good 3 inch layer than the bag method would prob be the way to go).

Now what about turning off the filters? I have a canister with a pre filter sponge on the intake using a spray bar for the return and I also have a hydro V sponge with air stone for added BIO filtration running should I turn off at least the sponge filter or both or not at all??

do you think the sand will get into the filter if I do not turn it off? I do have the pre filter sponge on there?

roundfishross
07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Good point, I know that it should not contain any calcium or any ph buffering properties either. You did make a good point about being harder to see the fish waste, so maybe a light colored san would be best in that case?

I do think a darker substrate would bring out the colors a bit more but I would rather be able to see what I am cleaning, besides the pool filter sand is pretty cheap and it must be safe because I have heard from a number of members who use it.

I am not having a planted tank or anything just some drift wood and a few of those floating plastic plant on the surface that kind of drap down into the water, and a few of those fake plants that can be suction cuped to the back wall other than that thats the tank I am planning out rite now I have two of the floating plants for cover and shade but its all BB with no driiftwood as of yet I am buying my first bit of drift wood after work today.

Having said all of that what do you think would be good as far as depth is concerned? just barelly enough to cover the bottom? I was thinking maybe a qurter inch to halh an inch in depth no more.

imo darker substrate will cause your discus to be dark and uncomfortable,i have evan seen them lying around because theyre tank was too dark(thought they were sick untill i put them in a lighter colored tank)and then instantly like new discus:D HTH

Eddie
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
imo darker substrate will cause your discus to be dark and uncomfortable,i have evan seen them lying around because theyre tank was too dark(thought they were sick untill i put them in a lighter colored tank)and then instantly like new discus:D HTH

+1

Larry Bugg
07-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Pool filter sand. I wouldn't go with the dark. I find pool filter sand to be very clean. Doesn't take much washing. It also doesn't usually cloud the water so I simply put it in a cup and pour it in the tank. I don't remove the discus. I just work from one side of the tank to the other. The discus will stay on the side you aren't working on.

Discus master
07-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Ok I thought that darker colored sand would bring their colors out, in fact I read in my discus book that one should go with a darker colored substrate like dark sand in order to bring their color out, I am glad I checked with those who have acually tried it first to let me know thats not the way to go.

Also Pool filter sand to my knowledge is even cheaper than the aquarium sand from the LFS so thats a good point and as someone else points out it would be harder to see the waste with a darker sunbstrate.

Good to know I can just add it slowly and carefully without removal of the discus, thanks for that tip. Now one question I have is will the discus freak out for a bit or have an adjusting period with going from a BB to having substrate in there will they get spooked at all? and if so for how long? I know it would just be an estimation for all fish are diferent but I am just looking for in general do you think there will be an issue with this?

I bought a stump with roots on it a medium to large size one granted it not reall but looks very real and looks nice so far in my set up with the to free floatins vines in the tank it looks pretty cool I think with the sand it will even make it better, but the reson why I brought up the whloe sand making them freak out issue is they will go no where near the thing their not checking it out their staying on one side of the tank far away from the stump I have never seen a fish act like this before. It is suppose to make them feel more comfortable give them a bit of a retreat and mimic their natural enviroment with sandy bottom drift wood tree stumps that sort of thing so this is what I am trying to do a bit at a time so its not so dramatic but this has me concerned now should i be? has any one witnessed this kind of thingbefore and will they warm up to it? I cost me a pretty penny as I am sure you know these resin type of decor is very detailed and very epensive???

Oh and thank you all for your input and help making my decsion so much easier pool sand it is now how much will the sand run me about only a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch is all I am putting in??