PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for pH digital tester...

David Rose
07-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey folks,

Anyone have a recommendation for a good digital pH or combo tester?

Thanks in advance!
David

jimg
07-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I use a Hanna Hi9126 love it. tried all cheaper testers this is worth every cent
Got it from eseasongear

nc0gnet0
07-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Do I sense the possibility of a group order? :D Sign me up.......and add a good gram scale to that list..... :)

flyman767
07-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I've used digital hanna meters for quite some time...If you keep the electrodes in a buffer solution..the meter stays somewhat preserved and calibrated. However, there accuracy over time does diminish. IMO..just not worth the chance and effort..went back to chemicals.

jimg
07-03-2010, 06:47 AM
I've used digital hanna meters for quite some time...If you keep the electrodes in a buffer solution..the meter stays somewhat preserved and calibrated. However, there accuracy over time does diminish. IMO..just not worth the chance and effort..went back to chemicals.

Every year you should change the electrode. I have had mine for about 2 years and anytime I checked calibration it was not off at all, but I did have the electrode go bad after about 15 months.
I have 14 tanks and it's very hard to do tests with chems. I set this in the tank while doing w/c and instantly adjust ph, temp. as needed. I spray with alcohol between tank and just put the cap on the electrode with a drop of storage solution overnight, or just leave it in a tank.
I does sometimes take up to 3 mins to get the ph readings.

Elite Aquaria
07-03-2010, 08:34 AM
David,

I use the Milwaukee MW801. It replaced the SM801 that was green. Prior to getting this probe I used the SM101 PH meter. Like stated above the probes have a warranty for 2 years but I used mine for 4 years. When I got the new MW801 I checked against my old meter and it was still dead on.

Dave click here (http://www.eliteaquaria.com/Meters_s/30.htm) I carry these meters. The new MW series replaces the old SM series. I have just not had time to update the photos.

flyman767
07-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Every year you should change the electrode. I have had mine for about 2 years and anytime I checked calibration it was not off at all, but I did have the electrode go bad after about 15 months.
I have 14 tanks and it's very hard to do tests with chems.
+1..I would agree..if I had 14 tanks, the electronic meter is a great option.

However, for me, one tank, checking the the Ph once or twice a week, replacing expensive electrodes, and never sure if the instrument stayed calibrated..IMHO wasn't worth the effort and cost.

Elite Aquaria
07-03-2010, 09:24 AM
+1..I would agree..if I had 14 tanks, the electronic meter is a great option.

However, for me, one tank, checking the the Ph once or twice a week, replacing expensive electrodes, and never sure if the instrument stayed calibrated..IMHO wasn't worth the effort and cost.

Flyman,

I only had to calibrate my SM101 once every 6 months...It was always accurate and at $40 (4 year life on mine) for a probe replacement it only cost me an average of $10 per year. That was much less than the drops and more accurate.

flyman767
07-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Flyman,

I only had to calibrate my SM101 once every 6 months...It was always accurate and at $40 (4 year life on mine) for a probe replacement it only cost me an average of $10 per year. That was much less than the drops and more accurate.

Dan,

Sounds like the SM101 maybe the way to go. My experience was with a Hanna that I've had for a few years; and even after replacing the electrode, constantly calibrating it with 4.0/7.0 buffer solution..was still not accurate on readings below 7.0..Ray

jimg
07-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Dan,

Sounds like the SM101 maybe the way to go. My experience was with a Hanna that I've had for a few years; and even after replacing the electrode, constantly calibrating it with 4.0/7.0 buffer solution..was still not accurate on readings below 7.0..Ray

Problem may of been that if your water is near 7.0 then you only calibrate with 7.0. If your water is nearer to 4.0 you only calibrate with 4.0 You are not supposed to calibrate with both 7.0 and 4.0. I complained to hanna about the same thing after paying $365 for the meter and it would not hold calibration and that's what the engineer there told me. Although some will say it must be a 2 point calibration . I do mine as 7.0 and it's always within .01 at calibration check
I have 3 milwaukee meters and they all can be calibrated in the same solution but when put in the same water they all read quite different. that's why I spent the extra on the hanna. But...i do have a milwaukee ph controller that is never off!

flyman767
07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I have 3 milwaukee meters and they all can be calibrated in the same solution but when put in the same water they all read quite different. that's why I spent the extra on the hanna. But...i do have a milwaukee ph controller that is never off!

I'm a little confused..the 3 milwaukee meters calibrated in the same solution but read different in the same water?? Did you mean to say Hanna rather than Milwaukee?

The reason I used both buffers(10.0/7.0) is because my tap is around 9.5 and my tank is 6.8. I check both because my tap fluctuates routinely.(Sorry..I mentioned 4.0 buffer earlier, meant to say 10.0)

I've always done 2 point calibrations because I was under the impression that 2 was better than one and 3 point would be better than 2.

I have to say..doing both single and 2 point calibrations with my Hanna..I found the meter to fall out of calibration rather quickly, whether it was a single point or a 2 point...no depreciable difference..Ray

David Rose
07-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Have a great 4th!
David

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Cant go wrong with a YSI EcoSense pH/Temp pen. Hanna instruments are great as well.

-Ryan

roundfishross
07-05-2010, 09:41 AM
david i use a milwaukee ph 600 less than $20 on ebay way easier than a hannah to calibrate and when it gets some age on it throw it away and get a new one. i have had a hannah combo and personally for the difference in price i do not see any difference in the functionatity (the entire tester is cheaper than hannahs replacement probe):D