PDA

View Full Version : Parent might be sick

chaoslite
07-03-2010, 03:30 PM
I have a small batch of 3 week old fry that I removed from the parents. I started by just placing a divider in the tank to see how they would do over a 24 hour period. I noticed this morning that the father has a white spot on his side toward the back that wasn't there yesterday. Should I remove the parents and treat in a QT tank or is there a way to treat the tank with the fry in it?

Mishka

Eddie
07-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't treat the tank with fry in it. Whats your water change routine like?

chaoslite
07-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Eddie,

I change it 50% twice a day and I make sure the water is at the same temp as the tank.

Mishka

mmorris
07-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I can't see very clearly but it doesn't look like anything to worry about. I would expect it to go away on its own.

chaoslite
07-05-2010, 04:13 AM
mmorris you are completely correct. I did not want to do anything until I got advice so I left them where they were. I came back this evening not only to find it gone, but the parents sitting on a new batch of eggs. Not quite sure how to work that one out. I had put in the divider to separate the 8 fry from the parents and remove them. Do I need to get a new tank or can I raise the new batch of fry with the old batch of fry once they are old enough to be away from the parents?

Mishka

mmorris
07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
the parents sitting on a new batch of eggs. Do I need to get a new tank or can I raise the new batch of fry with the old batch of fry once they are old enough to be away from the parents?

Mishka

That's great news! I assume you mean not just on the other side of the divider, but in a different tank? I would raise the old batch of fry separately from the new batch until the new batch are six weeks old or so. You have so few larger ones and hopefully, many smaller ones so in that scenario, mixing them shouldn't be a problem. What size tank do you have for them to grow out in?

chaoslite
07-05-2010, 10:16 AM
No mmorris. I have a new batch of eggs on the other side of the divider. I did not move the parents because I thought I might need to treat the tank. So now in a 29g I have 3 1/2 week old fry and on the other side of the Poret foam, the parents with a new batch of eggs.

Mishka

mmorris
07-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I understood that, Mishka, but in what size tank do you plan on raising the fry?

chaoslite
07-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Oh sorry. A 40g or do I need something bigger?

Mishka

mmorris
07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
That should be fine for a while. If this batch doesn't pan out, I would put the 8 in something smaller, like a 20 gallon, for a few weeks first.

chaoslite
07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
The spot has not returned so the male is doing fine. They seem to be very fertile and have now produced around 100 wrigglers. Actually it might be more. I lost count after 60, darn things are to close together. :D

Mishka

mmorris
07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Great news! Now, get the older fry out of there!

chaoslite
07-07-2010, 01:49 PM
mmorris,

I am looking for a bigger tank now. Have everyone I know looking for deals. I might just end up going to Petco anyway.

Mishka