PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate level?

Yashua
07-03-2010, 04:01 PM
What is dangerous nitrate levels for discus?

Thanks

Altum Nut
07-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I think anything under 10 should be Ok..but would prefer around 5-6.

Yashua
07-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Okay thanks, I am going to do a water change as my levels are in the 20 ppm

Eddie
07-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I never really paid any attention, since I change 100% every day. :o

Yashua
07-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Eddie what type of water turnover do you have? We are currently going to have a drain line and fill line installed to fill 10gal and leave overnight. What do you recommend for the ideal conditions... Me and my dad build pools and we have control centers to make everything automated but I wasn't going to step into anything till I had an established tank and have gone through some seasons with my discus. Thanks!

Eddie
07-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Eddie what type of water turnover do you have? We are currently going to have a drain line and fill line installed to fill 10gal and leave overnight. What do you recommend for the ideal conditions... Me and my dad build pools and we have control centers to make everything automated but I wasn't going to step into anything till I had an established tank and have gone through some seasons with my discus. Thanks!

Oh I don't have a drip system, I manually drain every tank until the fish are on their sides and fill. Every tank, every day! ;)

DiscusKev
07-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh I don't have a drip system, I manually drain every tank until the fish are on their sides and fill. Every tank, every day! ;)

haha, I too do it manually, but I do separate 30-40% water, 5 times a day. My nitrAte readings are 0-2 from the API test kit, doesn't bother me though, fish are robust and vigorously digging into their food :D

csarkar001
07-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Yashua:

you usually will not see much discussion of nitrate levels in this forum because most of us do so many water changes that it is rarely an issue.

chandan

Yashua
07-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Well I didn't mean drip system, but an automated water change. Do you have a big water tank for water changes?

Altum Nut
07-03-2010, 11:29 PM
The majority of Simply members use water storage barrels....
The blue or white 45g -55g which will include a heater set to the same temp as Discus tank and also has an air stone or filter for water movement.
.....Or you can also use a spare tank if you choose.

...Ralph

Yashua
07-04-2010, 12:52 AM
This might sound like a silly question but where are you storing this barrel and what type of heater is recommended? I'm actually intrested in that kind of setup... Do people bucket that water to the tank or have pumps? Thanks for the info

Yashua
07-04-2010, 02:03 AM
I was actually wondering if someone can help me identify these guys...

DerekFF
07-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Pigeon blood, blue diamond, red turq? and then the whole combo with a few tiger barbs to add ;=)

DerekFF
07-04-2010, 04:04 AM
This might sound like a silly question but where are you storing this barrel and what type of heater is recommended? I'm actually intrested in that kind of setup... Do people bucket that water to the tank or have pumps? Thanks for the info

I store my barrel right next to my tank and i use an old stealth heater as the temp regulation isnt as big of a deal as in my tank. If its off a few degrees i just get a 5gal bucket and fill it with colder/hotter water and it adjusts just fine. Any heater of appropriate size will do, make doesnt matter as much for your storage tank. Also storage tanks can be placed elsewhere, just make sure you have a pump with enough head power to pump up, through or to your tank if your water storage is far away. Some people put the water storage in the basement, garage, shed, or just right next to or under their tanks. Depends on your set up.

Yashua
07-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Thanks a lot... I was getting irritated when asked what are they :)

DiscusKev
07-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Pigeon Blood, Colbalt blue (a BD do not have any straitions or stress/communication bar), Red Turquoise.

Yashua
07-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Out of curiosity with 9 discus would I get a breeding pair or is that not a good combo? Like I said I know very little but would love to see a pair.

DiscusKev
07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Out of curiosity with 9 discus would I get a breeding pair or is that not a good combo? Like I said I know very little but would love to see a pair.

It is possible to get a pair or two from a large shoal of discus (6+), though it is up to the discus if they want to pair off or not. Each discus think alike.

Yashua
07-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Is there any parameters that I should follow to help them in that direction?

Altum Nut
07-04-2010, 02:27 PM
You could end up with 3M & 3F out of a group of 6 but may never pair up.
All you could do is offer the best care which includes good food and prestine water conditions W/C, W/C, W/C etc.
As mentioned in the previous reply.....it all depends on the fish.

...Ralph