PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need An RO Unit?

vstar
07-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Need some advice on my water. TDS is around 700-750 and kh hardness is 17 and Ph is a stable 7.8. I been planning on getting an RO unit to get my tds and hardness down by mixing RO water and my tap water to get desirable levels. Just want to say that I am not into breeding but just want to have some to enjoy. Can I get by with just my tapwater or should I get the RO unit reguardless. I will be aging and aerating and heating the water for water changes. Thanks

flyman767
07-04-2010, 09:45 PM
TDS is around 700-750 and kh hardness is 17
Did you mean a GH of 17 degrees? I'm somewhat surprised with a 17 degree hardness that you Ph is only 7.8? I wouldn't worry about the GH if your not trying to breed. Therefore, again unless you plan on breeding, IMO..I wouldn't invest in a RO. Discus can and will adapt..assuming the water perimeters are stable and consistent...ray

LizStreithorst
07-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Did you mean a GH of 17 degrees? I'm somewhat surprised with a 17 degree hardness that you Ph is only 7.8? I wouldn't worry about the GH if your not trying to breed. Therefore, again unless you plan on breeding, IMO..I wouldn't invest in a RO. Discus can and will adapt..assuming the water perimeters are stable and consistent...ray

I agree.

vstar
07-05-2010, 11:08 AM
The test kit I have measure in carbonate hardness (KH) from when I had my reef tank. Although I want to get a general hardness test kit.

nc0gnet0
07-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Kh has more to do with buffering capacity. I higher KH is actually a good thing, however, in most cases, a high KH will also indicate a high GH. I am also suprised that at a TDS of 750 your PH is 7.8. Would be curious to see what your GH is.

Personally I would kill for a PH of 7.8 out of the tap. May I ask how you are testing?

Can I ask do you have a water softener?

vstar
07-05-2010, 12:59 PM
No, water softner here. I test my Ph with the API freshwater master kit. I am sure my GH is high also. Will have to go to Wal-mart to see if I can get a GH test kit there. No LFS here in my town, closet one is a 100 miles. In western nebraska our water table drop due to the last few years of drought which raise our TDS,got lots of rain this year with good snowmelt, hoping it will lower the TDS back to 500 like it used to be.

pinoysport
07-11-2010, 02:15 AM
No, water softner here. I test my Ph with the API freshwater master kit. I am sure my GH is high also. Will have to go to Wal-mart to see if I can get a GH test kit there. No LFS here in my town, closet one is a 100 miles. In western nebraska our water table drop due to the last few years of drought which raise our TDS,got lots of rain this year with good snowmelt, hoping it will lower the TDS back to 500 like it used to be.

if you plan to breed. Get a RO .. if not your good. you have stable ph so your good to go .

jeff@zina.com
07-11-2010, 09:49 AM
DS is around 700-750 and kh hardness is 17 and Ph is a stable 7.8.

African cichlids would love you. :)

Seriously, except for breeding, as long as your water is stable, you're in decent shape for discus. To breed, you'll need R/O water.

Jeff

Eddie
07-11-2010, 04:35 PM
if you plan to breed. Get a RO .. if not your good. you have stable ph so your good to go .

+1, great water for growing out discus.