henward
07-05-2010, 06:33 AM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/henwardphotos/yellowcrystal.jpg

says yellow crystal.
picture not too bright.
but any feedback?

Willie
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Eyes are disproportionately big suggesting stunting at an earlier age. The chin area is concave giving them a parrot beak appearance. The fish are very clean, suggesting they contain the golden gene. This background produces a weaker fish, so heavy feeding and water changes are critical at an early age to get > 5" fish.

I would expect something names Yellow Crystal to be clean, no patterns, but I'm no expert in naming conventions.

Willie

henward
07-05-2010, 03:24 PM
when it comes to the fish, there is nothing we can do with the shape, these are rare fish and no one imports them.
but in terms of breeding them - thats what im after.
their shape doesnt concern me as long as it is a yellow crystal and its worth giving a try i guess.

so yellow crystal does not have a pattern at all? solid yellow?

all of the pictures i see here and the net indicates a slight pattern around the face and top and bottom fins.
solid body.
any mroe feedback?

henward
07-05-2010, 03:26 PM
also, i noticed i purchased a fish from this person before, fed colour bits since young and gets very red.
after not feeding colour bits, the red diminishes and the true colours start tocome out.
does anyone else notice that colour bits really colours the fish?

kaceyo
07-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Please don't be taken in by peoples speals about how rare a certain discus may be. The name Yellow Crystal" has been around a long time and, generaly, simply means a solid yellow pigeon blood with no facial or body markings. They are certainly not rare, it's just that most breeders have left that name behind in favour of newer names. They are just a yellow, though usually more orange, pigeon.
As for the Tetra bits making fish turn orange/red, that's what they are intended to do. It says so on the label.

DerekFF
07-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Those are definitely pigeon based fish. I dont see any yellow crystals there. They are feeding you the backloader full of *@#&

henward
07-06-2010, 05:10 AM
fair enough
i guess what people around the world dont understand is that in nz, we dont get the animals you get:D

in fact, importation of discus doesnt really happen, only recently someone did a bunch of 'rarer' strains. rare in NZ. not anywhere else lol

just like black arowanwa, red, gold is 'rare' here.

we dont have fw rays here too.
african arowanas.
armatus, peacock bass....
all rare.
we dont even have large catfish:)

so when i say rare....i mean rare for here lol

Eddie
07-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Looks like a couple of pigeon bloods. Agree with Willie's post 100%. Also these 2 are very small for a pair. Its easy to control the shape, if you dont want beaky fish, you dont buy beaky fish. ;)

Eddie

henward
07-06-2010, 06:10 AM
true.
dont look like im gonna buy it.
comparing to other yellow crystals online, it looks more red and orange.