PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed male not fertilizing. Stumped. Ideas?

pinoysport
07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
OK I have a confirmed male. I know because I have had wigglers from batches he has made runs over. So the pair is confirmed.
The last two spawns have produced no fertile eggs. I do want to say the last two times I was not able to see the male make runs but the last two times he was fanning the eggs.
The water conditions are the same. I have not added any new pumps or anything... The female is the same. I would say the female and male are still very young and about the same age. 1 1/2 years or so old. Their diet is the same.
What do you think?

Another question..
Also I had another pair where about an hour into laying eggs the male started to pick at the female like wanting her to stop. At that point he stopped making his runs… He was making runs up to that point.
Any ideas there?

Discus-n00b
07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Good questions. As i've had a combination of both lately! I love it when my fish take steps BACKWARDS. Ugh lol. I'm interested to see the responses to this as my male has begun to become more interested in eating the eggs as soon as they are layed then make runs over them....yet he's had wigglers before.

pinoysport
07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I love it when my fish take steps BACKWARDS. Ugh lol.

HAHAH... love that ....

The problem is that the egg cycle is about every 5-10 days.. so you have to wait for the next spawn to see.

I dont know... i hope someone else knows how to get the male out of the cycle... I think the males are just not ready to do their thing and they shoot blanks or the male thinks the batch will be weak and doesnt want to do it.

mmorris
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I have no idea why they do what they do sometimes. :alien:

pinoysport
07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Martha I was counting on your feedback!!! =)

do they come back around? I wonder.

dan1
07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Rod,

My albino pairs are the same, I had 4 to 5 batches then no wrigglers or only a few and end up abandoning the frys. Your male is exhausted, you just have to let him rest for a month or two and he should be better.

How old is the second pair? I had proven pair started gobbling up eggs after several successful batches. Discus are definitely unpredictable. A proven pair gives you a better chance to have a successful batch, there is no guarantee that you will have one. If it is that easy, then it won't be challenging right :)

Patience is the key...

CliffsDiscus
07-08-2010, 01:28 PM
HAHAH... love that ....

The problem is that the egg cycle is about every 5-10 days.. so you have to wait for the next spawn to see.

I dont know... i hope someone else knows how to get the male out of the cycle... I think the males are just not ready to do their thing and they shoot blanks or the male thinks the batch will be weak and doesnt want to do it.

Rod,
This is normal, later the male is ready and the female is not. Give you male a break and have
a standin male all ready.

Cliff