PDA

View Full Version : Worm small fry/juvies?

zekni
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I bought 12 nickel to quarter size discus fry from a hobbyist breeder a few weeks back, then the last 15 of a different batch that weren't growing like they should have been because there were so few in a tank with larger fry and weren't getting enough food. He advised I'd lose some of these, and they were dirt cheap.
They are in a 90 gallon tank, 86F, 30-50% waterchanges a day, two generic HOB filters, 3-5 large feedings a day of NLS pellets (that they don't really like) frozen plankton, daphnia, brine shrimp with spirulina, and cyclops.
The fish from the first batch have seen explosive growth. The second batch I lost one on the way home, and three since with a probable two more of the tiny ones - one of which was beat up when I got it and is not eating, and one pinky-nail size fish that is eating but gets bullied by the larger fry.
I'm left with 21 solid little fish that are eating well and thriving.
I dosed with prazi when I got the second batch (which I've had a week now), because I generally do when I get new fish.
Should I worm them with anything else?

LizStreithorst
07-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Ask the breeder if the pair were cleaned up before breeding. Worms are easy to find under a scope. If you don't have a scope buy one. There is no reason to put very young fish under the stress if treatment without a good reason.

zekni
07-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I do not have a scope, nor would I know what to look for in one, or under it once I had one.
I asked the breeder, and his fish have never been wormed in his care. Worm them?