PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifing Discus

Damonc
07-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Can anyone identify the Discus in the foreground of this picture?

Thanks,
Damon

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Wikkid1/scan0001.jpg

brewmaster15
07-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus.com!!!:)

That fish isn't a "strain" per say..so hard to ID... but looks like a cross between a cobalt or blue turq and maybe a snow white or Ghost type........... might also be whats sometimes called a snowfire crossed with Cobalt...basically though best anyone can tell you is its a domestic discus.

hth,
al

jrodriguez
07-10-2010, 01:39 PM
wow what ever it is it's awesome!

Jhhnn
07-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I like it, whatever it is... hard to say. I'd suspect some Pigeon Blood ancestry because of the peppering...

Maybe a red cover (because of the solid blue gillplates & halo) x pale pigeon blood? Just guessing...

Discus_1
07-10-2010, 06:40 PM
i dont know what it is but its really cool!:D

LizStreithorst
07-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Its a PB crossed with a blue based fish.

flyman767
07-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Its a PB crossed with a blue based fish.

LOL..I was thinking PB crossed with Heinz 57.

Sorry, I intial read your post as PB crossed with blue bass fish.

However..it is cool looking

Discus master
07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah its pretty cool if it were a deeper red and brighter blue with no peppering you could start a new strain called the fire and ice discus, lol that is of course assuming there is not one already with the million and one plus discus types out there there may very well be a fire and ice tpe discus just being called smething else, ha haha

Eddie
07-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Calico (ghost type) and Blue Turq

Discus-n00b
07-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Maybe its just me but does anyone find that Cobalt in the background attractive like I do? Its not totally up to par as far as grading standards go today, but it represents the old fashioned discus...the old school discus.

DiscusKev
07-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Calico (ghost type) and Blue Turq

I was thinking the same (Calico), it has that orange, white looking colour with dustings on its body.

Eddie
07-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Maybe its just me but does anyone find that Cobalt in the background attractive like I do? Its not totally up to par as far as grading standards go today, but it represents the old fashioned discus...the old school discus.

Yes Matt, it does remind me of some vintage blue turqs. I have a female that is from a very old line that looks very similar. ;)

Eddie

Rod
07-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus.com!!!:)

That fish isn't a "strain" per say..so hard to ID... but looks like a cross between a cobalt or blue turq and maybe a snow white or Ghost type........... might also be whats sometimes called a snowfire crossed with Cobalt...basically though best anyone can tell you is its a domestic discus.

hth,
al

Agree with Al, i have seen some white crosses look like this.

April
07-11-2010, 07:18 PM
i would definitely say ghost/red cap or calico .definitely got ghost in it. they are wierd fish..and can change colours depending on conditions. dark or light..speckling..and as rod and brew said..the parent mustve been hanging around some cobalt or blue. the mercurys that are being sold have some of those charachterisitics.

Eddie
07-12-2010, 12:08 AM
i would definitely say ghost/red cap or calico .definitely got ghost in it. they are wierd fish..and can change colours depending on conditions. dark or light..speckling..and as rod and brew said..the parent mustve been hanging around some cobalt or blue. the mercurys that are being sold have some of those charachterisitics.

;)