PDA

View Full Version : Breeding discus and angels in same central system?

pete321
07-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Can you breed discuss and angels in the same central system?

And why?

DiscusKev
07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Can't see why you can't...if it's possible to keep them together within the same tank, why can't you breed them? That should be a better question :)

DerekFF
07-10-2010, 02:39 PM
If theyre disease free as they go into it! Hex is a big one

Discus-n00b
07-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I've never been a big fan of that whole angel disease thing. I don't believe it. Start with healthy fish from a good source and you should have sucess. A sick discus could just as easily infect a tank of healthy angels as a sick angel could infect a tank of discus.

Start with good stock and use proper QT and I don't see you having a problem.

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-10-2010, 11:07 PM
So long as you start with clean, healthy stock...sure.

Key when doing it in a central/recirculating system is to design the system to be clean and efficient. I have seen more problems with people breeding in a recirculating system that are related to the system not being very clean....detritus build up in the sump, filter media dirty, etc. Design it clean and keep it clean.

-Ryan

jeff@zina.com
07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Can you breed discuss and angels in the same central system?

Yes.

And why?

Because I did it. :)

It was a number of years ago, and I don't do a central system now, but it worked out well. The only issue with a central system is that it really is one big tank of water, whatever goes wrong in one goes wrong in all. Mine had issues because it was cobbled together and not thought out well when I built it (live and learn) but I never had a disease or water quality issue. I had dreams of a fully automated fish room, but not the budget it would take. If such a thing is really possible, I'm no longer sure it is. :)

Jeff