PDA

View Full Version : Need input on fish I like from Hans

Jennie
07-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I've spent some time researching the breeders from this forum, and I've found 2 strains from Hans I'm infatuated with. #1 the blue pigeon blood and #2 is the silver pigeon. Has anyone ordered these fish and are they peppered?
hans link to photos
http://www.discus-hans-usa.com/

Eddie
07-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Pigeon blood fish have peppering, some more than others. Why not ask Hans for some with the least amount of peppering. I am sure he can accommodate you, as he accommodates the entire US. ;)

Eddie

Jennie
07-11-2010, 07:20 AM
I did receive an email last night from him and am hoping to add 2 new discus to my tank. Letting him choose 2 for me if he has the size I need. though he did mention my tank background color which is blk on blk. and now wondering how this and peppering are related to each other??

LizStreithorst
07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Discus like to camafloge themselves. They do it by blending into the background color The black background will out all the peppering in the fish.A light blue or even white back ground is a better choice for he PB strains.

Jennie
07-11-2010, 10:30 AM
thanx, that is good to know. I've asked him to choose 2 with very little peppering. I can always change the background. he did say the tank bottoms were white and backgrounds blue but didn't say why

danny2013
07-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I bought an unproven pair from Hans and they spawned a week after they arrived! High Quality and great packing! I would recommend him.

Jennie
07-11-2010, 08:25 PM
yes, would love to have larger ones but I have 3" juvies and desperately trying to keep ONE main discus tank. I have a feeling the angel tank may one day be converted.

mmorris
07-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Peppering is only one part of the picture. When buying fish I would be concerned with size, color and shape as well. If people are going to have fish shipped to them, I highly recommend they ask for pictures and then pay close attention to them. If someone was unwilling to send me quality pics of the very fish I am buying, I would go elsewhere.

Jennie
07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Yes good to know. I mentioned in the email I wanted perfect shaped fish. I just gave a free one away last week because it was odd shaped. I know it's being picky but ........I want beautiful fish. This tank is in my main living area for all to see.

roclement
07-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Peppering is only one part of the picture. When buying fish I would be concerned with size, color and shape as well. If people are going to have fish shipped to them, I highly recommend they ask for pictures and then pay close attention to them. If someone was unwilling to send me quality pics of the very fish I am buying, I would go elsewhere.

Martha,

Not sure if I agree with you entirely while I do in principle, I bought fish from many of our sponsors, Hans included, and not once have I asked for a picture of the exact fish I was getting. I did however, specify what I was looking for and made clear what my expectations were.

While a unique picture of the exact fish would be nice to have, when you become a comercial operation shipping thousands of fish a week, this may not be viable, but being able to pick out a fish from your stock that matches and even surpasses the expectation of the client is mandatory.

I guess if I was spending a couple of grand for one or two fish, I would love to see them before I commit, but when I am ordering a couple of fish from someones regular stock, the best he can deliver will have to do, now if I receive sub par fish and was promissed something else, then I will complain about it.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I just don't think that recomending that someone goes elsewhere if the seller can't provide them with and exact picture of the fish they are receiving, will just prevent someone from buying some very good quality fish from a lot of good people...in this case, I would trust Hans to make an excellent selection.

Just my respectful opinion...

Rodrigo

mmorris
07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm sure you know my experience has been quite different from yours.

danny2013
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Don't worry Hans will not give you anything but perfect fish. Just tell him what you want and he will pick them out.

Jennie
07-11-2010, 09:48 PM
while I did get nice looking fish from somethingsphshy, they were not healthy enough to withstand infection. I lost my brilliant blue a week or so ago. Today is the first day in the month that I've had them that they are active and acting normal. the odd looking one was from a local hobbyist here and since I didn't like it after really looking long and hard I didn't want to put effort into QT work for a fish that doesn't look perfect. I have faith that Hans will send me two great looking fish.

Jennie
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Morris is correct on the peppering as I looked at my wf melon today and peppering is there that didn't show at all in QT. Not a fan of blue backgrounds so will wait to see how bad it gets

mmorris
07-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Martha,

I bought fish from many of our sponsors, Hans included, and not once have I asked for a picture of the exact fish I was getting.

I thought you picked out the fish from Hans yourself. No? I think, though, in some circumstances tank shots of the actual fish being sold would be acceptable if I was buying young juvies.

NunoDinis
07-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Just going to add some of my experience, once i'm european, and as far as i understand, hans fishes came from Stendker, wich is, i would say, #1 discus farm in Germany.

My experience(i have some that came from there), says that the fishes have really nice form(round), and if you buy them old enough they tend to get litle pepper or none(imperceptible). Though if you buy them as young ones, they will pepper, as time goes by, thats for sure.

Jennie
07-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I just introduced a red turk yesterday into the discus tank out of qt, and in less than 24 hours allot of peppering showed up where he had beautiful patterning prior. I will be changing the background color asap.

mmorris
07-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I just introduced a red turk yesterday into the discus tank out of qt, and in less than 24 hours allot of peppering showed up where he had beautiful patterning prior. I will be changing the background color asap.

Can you post a pic? Red turqs are not pb's, and so do not pepper.

Jennie
07-12-2010, 09:31 AM
sure i can try- can't seem to upload from iphone or comp??

Jennie
07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
you got me thinking now. This hobby breeder had alot of breeding discus of many colors and pairs after breeding I wonder if this is pigeon crossed? most the pairs were were stocked into larger tanks.with only one pair blue turks going to lay. all the juvies were combined in tanks.

NunoDinis
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Either ways, like Martha said, if it peppered it shouldn't be a red turq.

DiscusOnly
07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Hans adult silver pigeon are very clean (saw them in person). I am not sure about juvie. When buying full size adult discus, I would like to get indiviual pictures of the actual fish I am getting but when you get juvies, I think a tank shot is adequate.

Tito
07-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I like to walk in and pick them out.

roclement
07-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Martha, I've done both. I trust Hans and he is a good friend.

Discuslover, if your fish has peppering, it is not a turk, it is a pigeon blood cross...

Where are you in NJ? I am in Central, Edison. Any time you want to stop by and talk Discus you are more than welcome!

Rodrigo

Jennie
07-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Sorry, Im in Colorado. I would love to tour facilities but cheaper to take word for it than buy the RT ticket I saw the article on pigeon bloods and there are so many varieties and patterns, I'm sure mine is at least pb mixed. All of this womans fish were beautiful however and at least 7 inches in size. On a good note, today I ordered the blue pigeon and also the silver pigeon from Hans. Will recieve them via fed ex on Wed.
that will make my collection to include
1 baby blue panda(somethingsphysy)
1 WF melon(somethingsphysy)
1 red dragon(somethingsphysy)
2 blue turk juvies(local hobby breeder)
the infamous red turk aka PB(local)
1 silver pigeon(Hans)
1 Blue pigeon(Hans)

Yeseree, I'm going to need a bigger tank or another tank. Once I figure out how to post pics I will do the show in tell thing, then everyone can decide of the strain of the mystery fish I have. LOL, And that's how it starts!

Discus-Hans
07-13-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm sure you know my experience has been quite different from yours.

Martha,

We as Discus Hans USA try to please as many people as possible so they can enjoy their hobby. Think we've pleased a few as our reputation shows.

Obviously we didn't with you, but for heaven sake it's 3 years ago, you got your money back, get over it,

Hans

MGKelly
07-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Very Interesting and informative thread! :juggle:

mmorris
07-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Martha,

We as Discus Hans USA try to please as many people as possible so they can enjoy their hobby. Think we've pleased a few as our reputation shows.

Obviously we didn't with you, but for heaven sake it's 3 years ago, you got your money back, get over it,

Hans

I thought we had discussed this by pm. Why post here?