PDA

View Full Version : Female beat up male

chaoslite
07-11-2010, 01:26 AM
It would seem during this last spawn the female did not want the fry to attach to her. I lowered the water and today the male had fry attached. While I was out of the room the female attacked him. He has quite a few scratches and his pectoral fins are ripped. I raised the water and removed the fry and she is now all lovey with him. He seems a bit shelled shocked and scales are missing. I do not have any aquarium salt, but I do have Epsom salt and non iodized salt if any of those would help.

Mishka

Eddie
07-11-2010, 03:36 AM
No need, just keep the water clean.

Unless you are dealing with a strain/type with known attachment issues (white, some pigeons, albinos, etc.) there is no need to lower the water level.

Eddie

chaoslite
07-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks Eddie. I will make sure to do two water changes. I noticed her picking on him again so they have I have separated them for the time being. I guess she did not want this batch.

Mishka

kaceyo
07-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Why didn't you just remove her and let him raise the fry? What did you do with the fry?

chaoslite
07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Kaceyo,

The fry are with him. They have tried to reattach, but he doesn't seem to like being touched. Maye sore? I think she might have been eating them off his body. There were not many to be found. :( I only hope there is not permanent damage done to him. Spousal abuse is no joke. :D Do you think I month is a long enough time to keep them separated?

Mishka

DerekFF
07-12-2010, 12:21 AM
He musta done something to deserve this....maybe he cheated on her!

kaceyo
07-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Kaceyo,

The fry are with him. They have tried to reattach, but he doesn't seem to like being touched. Maye sore? I think she might have been eating them off his body. There were not many to be found. :( I only hope there is not permanent damage done to him. Spousal abuse is no joke. :D Do you think I month is a long enough time to keep them separated?

Mishka

Parents will sometimes fight over who gets to carry the kids and they can get very serious about it, causing damage to each other and the fry.
IME, once the fry are out of the picture, they go back to being their friendly selves and get along fine.
Next spawn try pulling the female and let him raise the fry on his own.

Tito
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Definitely sounds like domestic violence - you should report it to the authorities.

Wow! What a fine example that mother is setting for the kids!

csarkar001
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
this whole episode reminds me of my marriage. :argue:

chaoslite
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Parents will sometimes fight over who gets to carry the kids and they can get very serious about it, causing damage to each other and the fry.
IME, once the fry are out of the picture, they go back to being their friendly selves and get along fine.
Next spawn try pulling the female and let him raise the fry on his own.

So do you think it is ok to put them back together? All of the fry are gone.

Definitely sounds like domestic violence - you should report it to the authorities.

Wow! What a fine example that mother is setting for the kids!

LOL I did report it Tito to my bull terrier. I grabbed him and told him to keep an eye on the tank and if she started up again before I got back with a bucket, bark at her. Came back and found him on my cell phone taking bets.

Mishka

Keith Perkins
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
So do you think it is ok to put them back together? All of the fry are gone.

LOL I did report it Tito to my bull terrier. I grabbed him and told him to keep an eye on the tank and if she started up again before I got back with a bucket, bark at her. Came back and found him on my cell phone taking bets.

Mishka

I've got a female who beats on her mate from time to time too. If I was you I wait about a week to put them back together to let him heal up. Next time they spawn I'd pull her shortly after. like 24 hours.