PDA

View Full Version : Will this be okay in my tank

MrsMoose
07-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I had discus years ago and have just got back into them. I just found the deal of the day on CL a 75 gallon and this is the gravel that came with it. I am not sure what it is but was told it maybe florite or a mix of eco and florite. I want to put my discus in this tank and have my angels in the 55 .From what I have read it seems both of those hold a higher ph. Judging by some of the supplies that came with an aquarium it may have been a saltwater tank when last used so I don't know if I should trust I could even get it clean enough any ways. The whole set up was only 90 so if you all think I need to run out and buy something besides this it would not be a problem. I am just stuck and don't know what to do and I am itching to get this tank running lol.

Eddie
07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I'd just ditch the gravel and get something new. ;)

MrsMoose
07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
You think maybe the pool filter sand from like home depot or some where like that ?

DiscusKev
07-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Sterilize the tank if in doubt, buy some sponge filter, air pump, heater, good range of food, and buy discus from a reputable seller, Simply's sponsors is your best route.

I agree with Eddie, the gravel could contain nasties and if not cleaned well, there would still be nasties in it. Bare bottom tank is the great start for new discus, even for experts!

MrsMoose
07-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I already have the discus , and the tank came with loads of supplies. I have beefheart that I feed mostly as well as bloodworms , brine shrimp, flake and pellet foods. I have them in my 55 as of now but with a family of six which are still small I wanted them to have plenty of room.I am gonna use water from my other tanks and then fill the rest of the way with fresh water. I have a filter already running that will be going to this tank as well.. How long should I let it go with other fish to cycle before transfering the discus. Thank you all so much for your help.

maxpain
07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
90 bucks for the whole setup. i think you can splurge and get some new gravel. y risk killing a couple hundred dollars worth of fish?

Discus master
07-11-2010, 11:10 PM
better yet get the sand skip the gravel pool filter sand is what has been sugested to me and that what I did finaly last week end and the fish seem to love it over the bare bottom and dirt stays ontop of it so its pretty easy to clean almost as easy as a BB was for me and it was like 8$ for a 50 lb bag but I only used like a half inch for my 55 galon and I have over half the bag left so even if I suck some up with the vac it will be pretty cheap to replace.

MrsMoose
07-12-2010, 12:32 AM
I mis quoted, It came with everything except filters, they had it listed as a 49" tank I caculated the measurements and it came up as 150. They had it listed at 125 but when they could not find the filters and heater they dropped it to 90. It came with decorations, a ton of meds, all kinds of test kits, filter media , filter pads two large nets , magnet cleaner brush cleaner air pump. It was a little dirty so a little cleaning and it looked new. Sticker in the light said mfg 2008 .Once we got to it we saw the measurements were off and realized it was 75 gallons but I am still happy with it and still am in shock over the price. I went and bought the sand , I got two bags and put both in there hope its not to much lol. I stole a couple of plants from the other tanks and when it clears up a bit I will post some pictures.Thanks for all the info.

DiscusKev
07-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Just want to confirm that the formula to calculate US gallons is

(LxWxH") / 231 = X

That's pretty a big jump in gallons.

If the nets are used, I would sterilize those nets or even dump them as they are cheap to replace.

MrsMoose
07-12-2010, 07:19 AM
The tank is 48" across the front21.5 from top to bottom and 18" from the front to the back. I think I will chunk the nets .How long before my water will start looking crisp and what do you think I should put in there to help cycle. The filter that is on it has been running on another aquarium for well over a month maybe even a few months.

DiscusKev
07-12-2010, 02:19 PM
It the cycle is finished, then you are good to go, but do a test incase there is an ammonia spike. Fishless cycle is the best to ensure pathogens-free.

MrsMoose
07-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Here is the tank , will be glad for the cloudy to settle.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/luvmyasagis/IMG_1255.jpg

DiscusKev
07-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Main reason for your water to be cloudy is because your filter isn't established properly. Rather than buying those chemicals to clear it away, just do a water change and it should clear up in a few days.

fish4fun
07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
the cloudiness could also be from the sand if the sand was NOT completely cleaned out.

MrsMoose
07-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I think it was the sand not rinsed good, it looks way better now. Now to figure out how to get rid of the bubbles between the tank and the background.My other tanks have not been a problem but this one keeps getting more and more lol
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/luvmyasagis/IMG_1257.jpg

Altum Nut
07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
There could be two reasons why it's wet between glass and back ground..

1) The silcone that bonds the upper tank molding trim has come apart allowing tank water moisture to escape down the back glass panel?????

2) Is you back ground sealed to the trim up top so that water mist from filters don't run down????

Hope this helps,
...Ralph

MrsMoose
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I trimmed it to fit between the trim and barely dampened the glass to get a good stick then used a squeegee , maybe I should try the squeegee again now that it has had time to dry