PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as "Discus Season"

pinoysport
07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Is there a time of year when its better to buy discus? Do they breed more durring different times of the year?

I have heard from more then one person that summer is "slow"' what does that mean for sales? or for breeding? or just for the hobby in general?

Is there such a thing called discus season?

Thanks

William Palumbo
07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Summer IME is a slow time for sales. That is a time where people are going on vacation, kids are out of school, and people are spending more time enjoying outside activities, and staying in less. Our local swap meets and auctions see MUCH more action in the colder months, when people are staying inside more, and in the fishroom more. My sales are way down during the warmer months...Bill

DiscusKev
07-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Are you referring to wilds or domestic discus here? If wilds, then I would assume that there is such thing could 'season rotation'.

pinoysport
07-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Summer IME is a slow time for sales. That is a time where people are going on vacation, kids are out of school, and people are spending more time enjoying outside activities, and staying in less. Our local swap meets and auctions see MUCH more action in the colder months, when people are staying inside more, and in the fishroom more. My sales are way down during the warmer months...Bill

OK Bill thanks... I just needed someone else to validate my same thoughts lol.

Are you referring to wilds or domestic discus here? If wilds, then I would assume that there is such thing could 'season rotation'.

Yes I would be courious what the season rotation would be.

Spardas
07-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I believe September is the start of the season.

CliffsDiscus
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Rod,
Usually peak Discus selling is around 2nd week of Feb and the 2nd week of Sept. Cold winter
is the selling season for Discus back east but not for sunny California.

Cliff

pinoysport
07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Rod,
Usually peak Discus selling is around 2nd week of Feb and the 2nd week of Sept. Cold winter
is the selling season for Discus back east but not for sunny California.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. Was wondering why some people adjust their selling strategies including one of my LFS..

CliffsDiscus
07-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks Cliff. Was wondering why some people adjust their selling strategies including one of my LFS..

Rod,
People are changing their selling strategies because of the poor economy, they
are just trying to keep their head above water. Have you gone to Capital Aquarium
lately?

Cliff