PDA

View Full Version : Only 1 discus?

snowflake311
07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Well I got my first discus his nameis Disco Stue. He is 1.5" and doing great eats like a pig never hides he is always out swimming around and when I have my hands in the tank he is right there checking them out.

Since he is doing so well as an only fish I'm thinking I will just keep him as an only with my festivums. Maybe in a year I will have room for more. As of now I don't.

Has anyone kept 1 discus with a few other fish? How did it work out?

DiscusKev
07-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Kept 1 Adult discus in a tank before, but 1.5" is a tad bit small, but with other community (shoaling/schooling fish) it should be fine...

snowflake311
07-13-2010, 08:18 PM
I just moved him to his new tank from qt. he is growing out with 3 2" festivum. The festivum don't even notice him. Disco stue has only been in this tank for like 3 mins and is already out swimming around like he has lived there all his life. I think he will be happy as an only child with tankmates for awhile.

Thanks

Wahter
07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Has anyone kept 1 discus with a few other fish? How did it work out?

I kept a single female discus alone in a 20 gallon tank for about 3 years. No problems, other than she would lay eggs on the heater now and then. She was quite aggressive and even attacked another discus by biting the eye of the other fish, so I kept her away from other discus (her tankmates were some corydoras catfish, an Siamese Algae Eater, and a Goldnugget Pl*co).

You'll hear people say "oh, they must be in a group", but I've never heard anyone say their single healthy discus got sick or died because it wasn't in a group.

HTH,

Walter

snowflake311
07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for that. I was feeling guilty. The more I get to know these fish the more I see they are basicaly just like any other sa cichlids. I have 7 differant kinds of sa cichlids right now. This guys is alot like my
others in ways.

mmorris
07-13-2010, 09:50 PM
I started out with one discus. He was happy for a while, but then he started hiding all the time and refusing to eat. I was sure he was on death's door and it was just a matter of time. Then I found this forum. I went right out and bought a 55 gallon tank and five more discus. I put them all together (got lucky that time!) and the change in his personality was amazing. He was as happy as a lark, ate aggressively, and became the dominant discus in the tank. I still have him, and some of his offspring as well. :)