PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please: Moving est. 55gal planted tank to new 90 gallon tank + pics

paddock
07-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Hello,

I've been a frequent reader here for a while, and i was hoping to get some advice. I recently moved, finally got my new tank stand built and picked up my new 90 gallon tank last night. My current setup, still up and running at my old rental house (the in-laws own it, so i was able to leave the tank up and running until i get the new one ready) is a very established (4+ years old) planted 55 gallon tank w/ 4 Discus, some japonica shrimp, a nice ram and a breeding school of lemon tetras.

The tank has 2 canister filters on it - an older Eheim and a 1 month old Fluval 405 (i set it up to get it conditioned for the new tank). The substrate is 100% Seachem Flourite, and the plants grow in it like weeds.

I've read on here that if i just take the contents of the existing tank (substrate, plants, fish and water) and move it all at once, i should be OK since everything in the old tank is established. Is this true? I realize that i will need to add some additional substrate due to the increased footprint, as well as water (it was suggested that i use spring water to make up the extra 40 gallons)

Basically, if i move the contents of the existing tank to the new one in one day, and add some extra gravel and spring water to make up the difference, will the plants and fish be OK, or do i need to get this new tank set up separately and let it cycle like you are supposed to with a new tank?

we've been in the new house for 3 weeks now, so to say i'm anxious to get the fish move in is an understatement. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

A couple photos are attached of the current setup, and one of their new home (yes, i need to finish staining it still!) - my apologies for the quality. The iPhone might be able to save the world, but it's not so good at documenting it.

http://www.romesnowboards.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/discus.jpg

http://www.romesnowboards.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ram.jpg

http://www.romesnowboards.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/new_tank.jpg

wannafish
07-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello,

I am just reading, and thought I would answer briefly.
Based upon what I have read here, if you haven't thrown
out your media from the two canister filters, you should
be able to set up right away. If not you are going to have
to cycle your tank all over again. But the mulm in the
substrate should help achieve that quickly. If you ask
the same question, " how to move tanks " in the
general discussion area, I am sure you will see a lot
of answers.

wannafish
07-16-2010, 11:46 AM
What I meant was do a search

rickztahone
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
moving ain't fun, lol. i just did it and i did pretty much the same thing. i set everything up at the new place, plumbing included and then i moved the whole thing and brought my fish in a cooler. all you would have to do is bring over the old filters, do not rinse them out and/or leave them without being run for too long. also, spring water is not needed. just put your dechlor for the 40 gallons and then add the 40 gallons. easy as pie. you will get a whole bunch of debris the first few days because of the substrate but that is normal. HTH

paddock
07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the advise. I will be using the same 2 canisters on the new tank, and they are still up and running, so i'll just get them plugged back in as quickly as possible so none of the bacteria die off. It's only 10 minutes from the old house to the new one, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I guess i was just surprised to read that with all the same material, etc in the existing tank, that i could just transfer it into the new tank and be ready to go right away, and was looking for a second opinion. What a relief to know i dont have to cycle the new tank!

Wish me luck...i'll get some pic's of the new setup once it clears up next week!