PDA

View Full Version : Discus growth question

Jennie
07-16-2010, 08:07 AM
There isn't a general forum for discus feeding and growth, so I'll post here. Do discus fish juvies fed 3 x daily grow slower or is overall growth smaller than those fed 6-8 times a day? I can't find internet info anywhere on this subject.

jball1125
07-16-2010, 08:39 AM
As juvies it is ideal to feed a lot an change a lot of water. Since the fish are small it Is best to feed small portions, however small portions doesn't sound like a lot therefore if the portions are small there would need to be a lot of portions per day. Get it?

I would do 4 to 6 small feedings a day on juvies. My adults get 2.

Jennie
07-16-2010, 08:46 AM
and growth rate per month to month and in one year would be?

jball1125
07-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Different strains will grow to different sizes. If your looking for a more or less guide, go on Hans website, he has a photo timeline of the growth of his discus and it could give you an example of what you would expect.

jball1125
07-16-2010, 09:02 AM
I think the standard is one inch per month until they hit 3 inches then it becomes a bit slower.

j_li8
07-17-2010, 12:30 AM
I agree with everythign jball has said. I would also like to add that this is an approximate growth rate for fish specifically from Forrest via Kenny's Discus.

2.5-3" are about 3 months
3-3.5" are about 3-4 months
4-4.5" are about 5-6.5 months

I did not ask about any growth beyond those three since those are the most common sizes that Kenny stocks. At a year 6+ inches is definitely possible. Take a look at the hobbyist challenge section. There are several good growth timelines in there where many achieved 6+ inch discus after a year in their care after receiving them at about 2.75-3" total length (nose to tip of the tail)

Jennie
07-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Different strains will grow to different sizes. If your looking for a more or less guide, go on Hans website, he has a photo timeline of the growth of his discus and it could give you an example of what you would expect.

I did review that but is a growth/color development video, which I am using as an aid on the spb and bpb juvies I just got from him. I hope he leaves that link on his website.

Jennie
07-17-2010, 07:54 AM
I agree with everythign jball has said. I would also like to add that this is an approximate growth rate for fish specifically from Forrest via Kenny's Discus.

2.5-3" are about 3 months
3-3.5" are about 3-4 months
4-4.5" are about 5-6.5 months

I did not ask about any growth beyond those three since those are the most common sizes that Kenny stocks. At a year 6+ inches is definitely possible. Take a look at the hobbyist challenge section. There are several good growth timelines in there where many achieved 6+ inch discus after a year in their care after receiving them at about 2.75-3" total length (nose to tip of the tail)
that's the info I needed. Thank you