PDA

View Full Version : i think im paranoid, just a question...

henward
07-18-2010, 04:48 AM
in my other fish tanks, once in a while, a fish will jsut kinda scratch itself on the sand or wood or plants.
not constant, but you know, like a human itching... some fish do it too im sure.

in my arowana clown loaches community tank - you know, sometimes fish jsut do it.
i probably see it while im watcing the fish once or twice a week.

Now, i may be a lil paranoid,
my discus at times do it too.
very occasionally... randomly, you know, like the other fish i have had in the past and still have.

i know that severe scratching is a sign of parasite on the skin....
i guess im just a little paranoid.

anyone elses fish sometimes do this? discus i mean?
just a little bit of scratching im talking about, not all the time.

flyman767
07-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Several of my discus will periodically 'twitch' or 'shake'...sometimes in a wave fashion(mostly their fins). When I first experienced this, I thought it had to be a parasite. However, at least with mine, this is normal behavior. I relate it to a similar action of a human 'yawn' or 'stretch'.

If what you experiencing is happening on an occasional basis..I wouldn't worry.

joanr
07-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeh, mine have an occasional itch and will do a quick rub on the heater. You will know if they have parasites, especially flukes. They will clamp gills, fins and just look miserable in general. An occasional twitch...not to worry.

scottthomas
07-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeh, mine have an occasional itch and will do a quick rub on the heater. You will know if they have parasites, especially flukes. They will clamp gills, fins and just look miserable in general. An occasional twitch...not to worry.

+1 All fish I have owned over the years especially Africans, occasionally rub against objects. Only worry if they do it repeatedly

kaceyo
07-21-2010, 04:44 PM
If they are doing it a few times a day it's not a problem. If they do it a few times an hour all day then it needs looking into.