PDA

View Full Version : sterbai corys in discus tanks

markandhisdiscus
07-20-2010, 09:49 AM
i know that as a rule corys dont fare well in the higher temps , but i read that sterbai corys do well . altho i am getting conflicting opinions/info. does anybody here keep sterbai with their discus and how do you find that they do. do they thrive or merely just cope?

Chad Hughes
07-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I have kept them in discus tanks for years. I would say they thrive. A few days ago it reached 100 F here is Southern California and they did very well. Typically the tank temp is in the mid to high 80s.

Hope that helps!

markandhisdiscus
07-20-2010, 02:07 PM
great . thanks i think i may well get myself a group then .

rsawest@yahoo.com
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
I've seen some of the biggest Sterbai cories in a discus tank. They love to eat the leftover beefheart/beef. I've been told that Sterbai adapt well to discus temps.

dpt8
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Yes they do adapt well to discus tanks. I have three tanks with 22 cories total and two tanks with adolphis. The aldophis have been laying ALOT of eggs on the tank walls recently.. :9)

quarr
07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I have 3 discus tanks housing sterbai, julii and panda corys... All are fat, healthy and happy!

TURBOFROG
07-21-2010, 11:17 PM
I also have many sterbai and panda's in my tank and never any problems at all!! Great cleaning crew as well!!

tcyiu
07-23-2010, 02:36 AM
My sterbai are on their 2nd spawn in the last year.

Either they didn't get the memo, or they seem to like it in there at discus temps.

Tim

tcyiu
07-23-2010, 02:38 AM
I have 3 discus tanks housing sterbai, julii and panda corys... All are fat, healthy and happy!

What temps are you keeping in the tanks with the pandas? I like how they look, but thought that discus temps were on the high side for them.

Tim

m.ingram
07-23-2010, 02:46 AM
I too have sterbia , julii, panda and albino corys in with my discus and they are all thriving my temp is 30c or 86f

Discus master
07-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I have kept them in discus tanks for years. I would say they thrive. A few days ago it reached 100 F here is Southern California and they did very well. Typically the tank temp is in the mid to high 80s.

Hope that helps!

Wait so your discus tank temp fluctuates? from 80's to mid 80' and your discus do fine with that? I was worried my discus tank goes from 84f to 85f I know its only a one egree swing but I am sure in natural habitats the temp swings a bit from time to time wouldn't you say so?

tcyiu
07-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Wait so your discus tank temp fluctuates? from 80's to mid 80' and your discus do fine with that? I was worried my discus tank goes from 84f to 85f I know its only a one egree swing but I am sure in natural habitats the temp swings a bit from time to time wouldn't you say so?

In my limited experience with discus (2 years), discus do not mind temperature swings - even reasonably fast swings.

When I change water (95% every day when they were juvies, now 95% every week), I measure temperature with my fingers. The temperature swing is easily 2-10 degrees.

The discus just shake it off. They have grown from 3/3.5in to 6+in and are still healthy.

My theory is that discus evolved in river tributaries where the water temperatures vary depending on rainfall and flow. In my experience, they can easily handle some temperature fluctuation.

BTW, I think one of the recent temp swings pushed my cories into the spawning mood.

Tim