PDA

View Full Version : New rack of tanks

Discus-n00b
07-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, I had always been thinking about it, but I guess now is the time to jump in. Its nothing big like a lot of people here, just something simple to keep all of my breeders in one place, while my growout/show tanks are in another place together. Organization I guess, and a way to sneak in a few new breeding tanks. ;);) Unfortunately my friend Eric from Carolina Discus has to get out of the hobby for a while so when he was selling some 20H tanks, I couldn't refuse and I bought a few off of him. Thats what spurred me to make the rack, I have the tanks now so why not right? Thanks Eric haha.

Anyway my plan is to do a simple rack that holds 4 20gals and some storage space underneath and on top. The tanks and rack will be flush up front, but have a little space in the back for stuff like wire management or just in case. Being that its only 4, tanks will be run with 2 different airpumps (2 outlets on each for a total of 4 sponge filters) and all separate heaters. Lighting will be a single bulb T5 30" fixture across each shelf (exactly like rod's setup).

Heres some brief sketchup models of my plan. Suggestions are always welcome. Its not finished, as you can see at the top. I'd like to complete another shelf up there for storage space, place for the airpumps, or to be able to hang lights underneath, etc.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/rack2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/rack1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/rack4.jpg

I chose to add more wood on the bottom, because these tanks will be on carpet, and the single legs kind of scare me. I've had good success in the past using this same "foot" design.

I have some other goodies planned, but nothing in stone yet. I might just make you wait for details on those until i've tried them or thought more into them but one is moonlights, separate moonlights so if one tank has eggs they can be on while the others are off (I sleep in this room ;)). I really like Dan's setup with the small track lighting, but i'm looking more at LED type, we shall see.

Anyone see any design flaws? Or have any suggestions. I want to start building this week and move all of my pairs over by the end of the week/weekend.

dawrtw
07-20-2010, 06:09 PM
I built a stand somewhat like yours. I have one suggestion you might want to consider. Instead of having two small blocks holding up the tank, I ran 2 x 4's up the leg vertically. This allowed me to put more screws in and the vertical support seems to hold more weight.

roclement
07-20-2010, 06:32 PM
I hate that I don't have the skills to build or draw something like this...I love the fact that you have a pair breeding already!

Rodrigo

Discus-n00b
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks all.

Oh they'll breed Rod, just wait a day and i'll post a picture that I modified to show them eating the eggs LOL!

Only reason I didn't do the full 2x4 legs and just the blocks, is because on the uppershelves I didn't want to eat away valuable space with them. 1.5" (doubled) goes a long ways. Especially in the area I wanted to put the racks. I might beef up the bottom ones though.

DiscusKev
07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Neat design, hope all goes well for you.

PS: Your really amazing at designing (layout/structure) and taking pictures, what next, a fish house :D

Mind sharing what software you used to create those images?

ockyra215
07-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Matt,
I like the design.Id leave the bottom shelf open because down the line you could ad 2 more tanks and since its in your bedroom there shouldnt be a lot of traffic so them being low like that shouldnt be a problem.As far as lighting I would check out Home Depot or lowes to see what they have going on as far as LED lights.Take some pictures when its done!:D

ref0716
07-20-2010, 08:36 PM
I would suggest diagonal bracing across the back so that there is no chance that the rack will "rack", or go out of square. You could 1 X 2 furring strips, or metal strapping such as used to strap pipes. Just my 2 cents worth.
Richard

Discus-n00b
07-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Neat design, hope all goes well for you.

PS: Your really amazing at designing (layout/structure) and taking pictures, what next, a fish house :D

Mind sharing what software you used to create those images?

Haha, I wish I could afford and had space for a fish house. As a college student you don't have much to work with. ;) I used Google sketchup to do this design. Its free and a very easy to use compared to something like autocad. Try it out, I think you will be impressed how much you can do no matter what skill level. Its basically like click to start drawing a line, a scale is shown in the bottom right corner with measurements and drag until its the right size. Etc etc and continue to do that. :)

Matt,
I like the design.Id leave the bottom shelf open because down the line you could ad 2 more tanks and since its in your bedroom there shouldnt be a lot of traffic so them being low like that shouldnt be a problem.As far as lighting I would check out Home Depot or lowes to see what they have going on as far as LED lights.Take some pictures when its done!:D

Thanks. I have a tank on the floor already, so not really worried about the height, other then the fact I don't want to crawl on the floor to maintain it, take pictures, or look into it. I have a lot of styro coolers and various items I could store under the stand.

I would suggest diagonal bracing across the back so that there is no chance that the rack will "rack", or go out of square. You could 1 X 2 furring strips, or metal strapping such as used to strap pipes. Just my 2 cents worth.
Richard

Thanks. It makes sense, but i'm not sure the 2x4's will get that much bend in them, at least my current tank stands havn't. Maybe I am underestimating it.

scottthomas
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I built mine almost exactly like yours and they are holding up great. I added small doors that cover just the trim on the tank and the space between the two levels. Hope that is clear? Anyway I really like how the doors cover everything up and make a smooth appearance. Easy to make with just a couple cheap hinges.

I built a stand somewhat like yours. I have one suggestion you might want to consider. Instead of having two small blocks holding up the tank, I ran 2 x 4's up the leg vertically. This allowed me to put more screws in and the vertical support seems to hold more weight.

I thought of using a double leg also, but you have to make the stand wider if you plan on having it extend to the top. I would lose out enough space that I would have to remove 4 tanks fronm my fishroom with tyhat method:mad:

Discus-n00b
07-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah I was planning on maybe something like black or dark cloth? Just something to block extra light. That or some doors. My LFS uses a thicker black rubber piece with some velcro, doesn't look to bad and it works. Easy to take off, and easy to put back on.

Eddie
07-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Looks good Matt! My racks are similar. I have actually started puttin my tanks on the stand sideways (longways), to fit more. I dont use any cross braces and its very sturdy.

And that is a cool program.

Eddie

DiscusOnly
07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Looks good Matt! My racks are similar. I have actually started puttin my tanks on the stand sideways (longways), to fit more. I dont use any cross braces and its very sturdy.

And that is a cool program.

Eddie

I am with Eddie on this. I put my 20gal high sideway and I think it's more efficient. In your case, I would put all 4 20gal on the top shelf by making the stand wider. I like a wider footprint cause if you have your tanks 5 feet high, it's more stable. Using 2x4 only, you can just do 50"x22" (LxW) rack. Just add a piece of 2x4 every 12" and all your tank will sit solid.

Van

Discus-n00b
07-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Problem is, I don't have that much width to play with. And I don't plan on adding any more tanks anytime soon. Thats why I oppted to go long ways. Not to mention, its better for photography. ;)

If I had more space, and this wasn't on the 2nd floor I would turn most of them sideways, as I like that too, but realistically...I can't.

I have a stand that currently holds my breeding tanks and its 20 something inches wide x 54 inches (i think) long. For now though that will be my work table and maybe hold a few 10gals to work with other fish, while this new rack holds all of my breeders. Its only one shelf with storage on the bottom.

Carolina discus
07-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Matt,
Use 2x6 for the verticle legs and notch out for the 2x4 horz support.....you can add an additional 2x4 underneath the horz attached directly to the vert 2x6 for additional support if needed/desired....notching out always works better....

Also, dont add a bottom row as you want to keep the 18"-24" off the floor...draining is a pain in the butt of it is too close to the floor...trust me!!!!

eric

moik
07-21-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree with eric on everything he said...keep your tank off the floor for siphoning reasons and the floor region is the coldest anyway...Mortise your 2x6 uprights ans use 2x4 for cross peices ,,plus double them if want the added stregnth..I use 2o highs,40 breeders,30 longs...you can fit 3 20 highs in the same hole of 40 gal breeder or give alittle more room and turn 2 40 gal breeders sideways,,plus put 3 30 longs/29 gal highs in the same holes..I always try to leave my options open for different tank confdigurations..If you have some breeding pairs doing well with fry then use more larger tanks for growing fry,,,if not then you will have more smaller tanks for more breeder pairs. Just an idea i try to make work...Once the rack is built you will find what options you forgot or regrets in the future.Angle bracing is a must and always a good idea for stabilty plus find a way to fasten the rack to the wall..I always leave about 2-3 inches more of a 5gal bucket diameter above the tanks,,it leaves enough room for lights,access,and if you want to dump a 5 gal bucket of water in with no problems..hope this helps..heres some pictures,,sorry they are alittle bad but hopefully you get the idea..

Embersmom
07-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I hate that I don't have the skills to build or draw something like this...I love the fact that you have a pair breeding already!

Rodrigo

You read my mind!!!
This looks like a great project, Matt. Looking forward to seeing the actual set-up.

Discus-n00b
07-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

I didn't want to get to complicated with this, just a practical setup for me. I decided to keep the tanks long ways on the rack to allow me photography options and better viewing while still attempting to breed. But I did extend the shelf more width wise, just incase...never know about the future.

I did not go the notching route, I looked at many different designs on the boards here before I finally chose but I think mine will hold up just fine and serve my needs. Its based on the design Dan and Hans both use in their rooms.

I painted it black too. Wanted something other then the wood look. Lets hope black works well, I think it should. If not I can always repaint lol. I also still need to assemble it (paint is drying overnight) and get some plywood or other solid material for the shelves, any suggestions? I usually use just plywood. My house stays really warm, winter and summer living in SC so I never have problems keepthing the heat in the tanks.

I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow, assuming I complete it. We've been busy here, had to deal with this upon my arrival home from the beach. Heavy storms. Might be hard to tell from the picture, but its a fairly large oak tree that fell. To bad, now its just pine trees out front...yuck!
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/fallenoak1.jpg

If anyone wants some help with google sketchup let me know. Not a pro at all, but I use it for fun and might be able to help out. Or I can always draw something up for you.

Discus-n00b
07-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Finally here are the pictures of it setup and running. Still working on cable management and as you can see, only 3 tanks are on there now. Only have 3 pairs and i'm waiting to determine the sex of the Alenquer pair so I might have to split those up into the 4th tank. Right now that spot is held by my power center. I'll probably end up getting a second power center as well and they will both be mounted somewhere. Possibly under the top shelf side by side? We'll see.

WB pair top left, Alenquer crosses top right, Albino BD throwbacks bottom left. The ABD throwbacks had eggs on the cone again, but the male is still to immature so they turn white. :(
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/tankrack1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/tankrack2.jpg

Pay no attention to my terrible salt water nano up there, it will be broken down very soon lol.

DiscusKev
07-29-2010, 04:07 PM
That is so cool Matt, neatly done. I was wondering what that tank is doing up there, guess you solved my mystery before I even gotten a chance to ask :)

Keep us updated, will be very keen to see the final final result :)

Discus-n00b
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks haha. Yeah thats my Saltwater tank, used to be awesome but through deployment and other stuff going on its really taken a nose dive and i've lost intrest in it. Can't tell you how excited i'll be to get that 250w MH out of the room...heats it up like a furnace!! Does give a nice shimmer in all of the discus tanks though...

And I really really really recommend those power centers. Its a "DJ Power Center". $15-20 each and now I can control everything with a switch. No more unplugging heaters for water changes, forgetting to plug them back in, no reaching to turn on each light. All I do is flip switches. So easy. Each power center holds 8 plugs so it can easily handle my 2 air pumps, 2 lights, and 4 heaters.

Disgirl
07-29-2010, 08:02 PM
You will soon have the cones for 2 of those tanks! Good luck with the whole project. Is that tree in your yard? Did it fall on part of that vehicle?
Barb:)

Discus-n00b
07-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks Barb, the tree luckily fell while we were away so no cars were in the driveway. I came home to find it like that.

Sending you a PM Barb. :)

DiscusKev
07-29-2010, 10:26 PM
...I can control everything with a switch. No more unplugging heaters for water changes, forgetting to plug them back in, no reaching to turn on each light. All I do is flip switches. So easy. Each power center holds 8 plugs so it can easily handle my 2 air pumps, 2 lights, and 4 heaters.

Technology go so far doesn't it, I see a web series of a reef tank on Youtube and they control EVERYTHING with the computer, all cables connected and functioned using some software. It sure beats me! I keep thinking, woah that must be an expensive 'gizmo' :D

Good to know that no cars were damaged :)