PDA

View Full Version : My 95 Gal Wave Planted Discus Tank - Week 4

DiscusLoverJeff
07-21-2010, 08:49 PM
As you can see in the photo, the tank is doing very nice after 4 weeks. Friday my Discus arrive and I hope they will like their new home.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/DiscusJeff/Discus%20Tank/P7210414.jpg?t=1279759616

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/DiscusJeff/Discus%20Tank/P7210415.jpg?t=1279759665

Thank you,

DiscusLoverJeff

jball1125
07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Your tank is really beautiful. Do you mind sharing some stats?

What type of discus are you putting in there? Something reddish would make a nice contrast with all the green.
:D

jhamil
07-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Nice nice nice. How many watts are your lights and how do you get Co2 in your system

DiscusLoverJeff
07-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Hello,

Thank you for the nice words on my tank.

My lighting is 2 65w 10000k compact flourescents or I can run 4 if needed. I do not have any CO2 in this tank as of yet. the plants seem to be thriving on their own just fine with the Eco-Complete substrate. As a matter of fact, some of the swords are actually growing out of the tank. I will post more pictures this weekend with the new Discus arrivals from Kenny's Discus.

Thank you again,

DiscusLoverJeff

ExReefer
08-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Update?

Apistomaster
08-23-2010, 07:14 PM
I see you have many Echinodoras cordifolius AKA Radicans Sword Plants. These grow very large and eventually out of the water. Only one or two will be all you need. It is difficult to know how fast and how large some plants grow when starting out and these are a popular and inexpensive species but they can over run the largest of tanks very easily.

ccthao
08-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Beautiful setup, I've heard that Eco complete has too much iron in the substrate to be used for discus tanks. Is that true?

Apistomaster
08-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Beautiful setup, I've heard that Eco complete has too much iron in the substrate to be used for discus tanks. Is that true?

That is not true. Ecocomplete works fine with Discus, The only draw back is that Ecocomplete is coarse so Discus can't sift it as they do with fine sand but that is not critical for their well being. The volume of water changes also keep the concentration of Fe++ ions low in the water column but the plants absorb most of the iron through their roots so they get plenty of iron.
Many heavy metals are toxic to fish but iron isn't one of them.

DiscusLoverJeff
08-28-2010, 02:49 PM
You are right Larry, the swords are growing out the back part of my tank where I leave a gap open for air and evaporation. It is awesome though, in less than 2 months, I had growth outside my tank.

I am in the process of thinning it out some too. Between the swords and water lillies, I had an amazon experience that if I had wild discus, they might really enjoy feeling like they were back home!

Funny thing too, I had absolutely no duckweed when I received my plants, now, I have to skim the top water every week or so to keep them under control too.

Eco-Complete has not hurt my discus at all. The natural look is amazing and the root system is awesome too. Take a look at resent photos.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=82073

DiscusLoverJeff