PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus...Some Questions.

Kelsey
07-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Ok so I'm wanting to get a pair of discus but I have some questions before I get them...

1.Will one pair fit in a 45 gallon tall tank?
2.Can anymore fit? If yes how many altogether?
3.Whats the highest Ph they can live in? I have 7.0 does it need lowering?
4.Can they live with glass catfish? I heard they will be able to live in the same Ph range but I'm not sure.....

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:angel:

DiscusKev
07-24-2010, 12:13 PM
1.Will one pair fit in a 45 gallon tall tank?

Yes.

2.Can anymore fit? If yes how many altogether?

No. Since the tank is tall, it would be difficult to divide the tank into two for two breeding pairs.

3.Whats the highest Ph they can live in? I have 7.0 does it need lowering?

7.0 is neutral and it is fine, the highest would be 7.5 or so. There is no need to trigger the PH since your PH is fine.

4.Can they live with glass catfish? I heard they will be able to live in the same Ph range but I'm not sure.....

Best not to, if it is for cleaning, get some Bristlenose Plecostomus, they don't grow large and it do well with Discus.

Kelsey
07-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Ok thanks!!!

Keith Perkins
07-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Ok so I'm wanting to get a pair of discus but I have some questions before I get them...

1.Will one pair fit in a 45 gallon tall tank?...

:angel:

Are you talking about a breeding pair, or just 2 discus?

AndrewB
07-26-2010, 12:26 AM
I hope you don't make the mistake I made and assume any 2 discus will automatically form a bonded pair and get along. Especially if they are juveniles. I bought 2 only to come back and buy 2 more a few days later to settle aggression. Now, I'm planning on purchasing 2 more to get six total like the experienced hobbyist here recommend. Not a bad thing though because I have a beautiful show tank now. :)

I'm new to discus as well. I had many misconceptions about these beautiful fish. Everything from water conditions to thinking they are 100% peaceful fish.

Willie
07-31-2010, 09:28 AM
I hope you don't make the mistake I made and assume any 2 discus will automatically form a bonded pair and get along. Especially if they are juveniles. I bought 2 only to come back and buy 2 more a few days later to settle aggression. Now, I'm planning on purchasing 2 more to get six total like the experienced hobbyist here recommend. Not a bad thing though because I have a beautiful show tank now. :)

I'm new to discus as well. I had many misconceptions about these beautiful fish. Everything from water conditions to thinking they are 100% peaceful fish.

This is okay if you're committing to quarantine. If you don't have this capacity, then buy 6 from one source and add at the same time.

As for aggression, remember that these are cichlids. There will also be one alpha discus in every tank and one that gets chased. That's why having 6 or more is a better idea than 2.

Willie