PDA

View Full Version : life span on discus

matt2426
07-24-2010, 11:43 PM
generally whats the average life span on discus if they are taken care of properly thanks

Eddie
07-24-2010, 11:44 PM
generally whats the average life span on discus if they are taken care of properly thanks

Between 5-8 years but have heard of some hitting 10.

Eddie

Jennie
07-24-2010, 11:54 PM
would that span have anything to do with breeding them or not breeding them?

Between 5-8 years but have heard of some hitting 10.

Eddie

Eddie
07-24-2010, 11:56 PM
would that span have anything to do with breeding them or not breeding them?

Meaning... like if they never bred or if they have? :confused:

Jennie
07-24-2010, 11:58 PM
well yes. For example, in dogs, those that are bred constantly or even 3/4 times have a shortened lifespan, so was wondering if the same in fish?

Meaning... like if they never bred or if they have? :confused:

Eddie
07-25-2010, 12:02 AM
well yes. For example, in dogs, those that are bred constantly or even 3/4 times have a shortened lifespan, so was wondering if the same in fish?

This I could not tell you from experience. I know some keepers have had females/males do their thing at 8+ years of age. You might have to check with some of the sponsors/breeders that breed pairs non-stop. They may have some good info on whether or not it affects life span.

Eddie

Jennie
07-25-2010, 12:04 AM
hmmm maybe some breeders here taht do could share their opinions

This I could not tell you from experience. I know some keepers have had females/males do their thing at 8+ years of age. You might have to check with some of the sponsors/breeders that breed pairs non-stop. They may have some good info on whether or not it affects life span.

Eddie

Eddie
07-25-2010, 12:09 AM
hmmm maybe some breeders here taht do could share their opinions

True! I guess it might more attention if you added breeding affecting life span in the thread title.

DiscusKev
07-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Discus that are breeding machines will eventually get exhausted to the point that it shorten their life span, true or not? :D