PDA

View Full Version : Challenging situations

Ed13
07-25-2010, 02:01 PM
So I walk into my fishroom, look in my Brown tank, and there is my only confirmed female in this tank laying some beautiful bright orange eggs!
But, as always, she is using a PVC pipe low in the tank and in an horizontal position. She NEVER lays on vertical surfaces.
The only male somewhat willing to "hook up" with her doesn't do a good job responding to her advances and looks to use a vertical surfaces to breed on, so she gets frustrated and starts laying eggs in the spot she chose HERSELF. Once the male realizes what's going down, he starts furiously eating the eggs and rushes at her to move her while she lays them. :mad:

I haven't place them in their own tank because of this behaviour and because I haven't provided suitable breeding water. They do defend the general area around the spawning site as a couple pretty well and the male does prevent any other fish from even coming close to the eggs, while HE eats them :mad:

Anyways, I'm more venting my frustrattion than asking for help since they've done this 5+ times already. But, if you have any ideas let me know.

I also have another tank in where a pair allows other discus to come and eat their clutch without defending it and another tank where I still don't know which fish are laying since all the 4 fish in the tank seem to take care of the clutch of eggs and no one eats them, we'll see when they lay a clutch that finally hatches, but so far I'm confused:confused:

nc0gnet0
07-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Maybe she just prefers the PVC? Make a PVC pipe and attach it to a PVC 45 degree fitting and attach it to a hunk of slate. Then remove the horizontal surfaces or mke them inaccesable.

since all the 4 fish in the tank seem to take care of the clutch of eggs

I have witnessed this as well.

William Palumbo
07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I would put them in their own tank with NOTHING horizontal for her to lay on. As said, maybe a inclined piece of PVC...Bill

Ed13
07-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Maybe she just prefers the PVC? Make a PVC pipe and attach it to a PVC 45 degree fitting and attach it to a hunk of slate. Then remove the horizontal surfaces or mke them inaccesable.

I have witnessed this as well.

I would put them in their own tank with NOTHING horizontal for her to lay on. As said, maybe a inclined piece of PVC...Bill

There are two lenghts of PVC in a vertical position, actually attached to the horizontal pieces, funny to watch the male sorta trying to convince her to lay a few inches next to her chosen spot in the vertical pipe. NO GO, she is stubborn:D

Haven't tried and angled piece though.

I thought that a group guarding a clutch was rare:confused:. I kinda wanna keep the pair in that tank and let go of the rest, but after some 4+ clutches I still don't even know which is the female, I have a suspect but that is it:p.

Eddie
07-25-2010, 07:31 PM

+1