PDA

View Full Version : spontaneous death?

henward
07-26-2010, 06:20 AM
i have a few discus.
all healthy - in there is a brown ghost knife, banded knnife and a clown knnife, 4x pink tail chalcheus.

today i found a medium red melon dead.
yesterday, it was active and eating well, and it was growing well.
any0one have ever had unexplained deaths?

William Palumbo
07-26-2010, 08:06 AM
That type of thing can happen to Discus. just as it happens to any other living thing. Had it happen to me a few times over the course of keeping Discus. It happens. Sorry for your loss...Bill

DiscusOnly
07-26-2010, 08:21 AM
That type of thing can happen to Discus. just as it happens to any other living thing. Had it happen to me a few times over the course of keeping Discus. It happens. Sorry for your loss...Bill

Agreed! That happened to me on multiple occasions over the course of the last few years. Discus doing fine in a tank with all other discus. Wake up one day to find discus dead, no excessive slime on the dead discus or anything like that. Discus still in fine color with the exception that it's dead. Not other discus were sick before or after. I just chuck it up as natural death (especially when it happened to 2 of my biggest fish about 6 months apart).

Van

Moon
07-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Yes I agree. In my case this often happens with wild caught discus.

Double Up
07-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Happened to me just the other day!

henward
07-26-2010, 03:24 PM
i was starting to get to paranoid mode
but it has happened to me before. especially often with small tiny fish like tetras ages ago.

but last night found the red melon dead, medium size, 7 to 8 cm end to end is the size, not old, would say 12 to 18 mnths old at most, it was clearly not the best example but was active and healthy.

ok, in a way its reassuring to hear, as the water params are perfect.

any other feedback, experiences?
just for future reference?

Keith Perkins
07-26-2010, 11:37 PM
It's been a while, but I had what I thought was a perfectly happy and healthy 9 month old Cobalt do essentially the same thing just about a year ago. One day it was swimming with the other 7 just fine, and the next day it's floating. Never did a thing with the other 7, and they're all still perfectly fine. Sometimes I think it's just God reminding me who's really in control.

mmorris
07-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Organ failure, perhaps. Could be genetic, or environmental at some point in the discus's life.