PDA

View Full Version : Aquaillumination

captainandy
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
So I just bit the bullet and ordered an LED fixture for my 90 planted discus tank. Any experiences out there with Aquaillumination fixtures?

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Top quality. How many units did you buy? For your 90 gal, you'll probaby want 2 to get sufficient coverage.

-Ryan

Discus-n00b
07-26-2010, 09:41 PM
No personal experience but they seem to be making a big splash in the reef game lately. I'm interested in seeing your results and some pictures once you get it all setup!

captainandy
07-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm starting with a single 12 inch fixture. Probably hang it a foot above the tank. I used to have lot's of plants but as the discus get bigger I tend to rip out the plants for more swimming space.

bstreep
07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
So I just bit the bullet and ordered an LED fixture for my 90 planted discus tank. Any experiences out there with Aquaillumination fixtures?

I have a good friend with one on his reef tank. Now a couple of years old. Gotta say, LOTS of problems. There's also some concern that LEDs aren't broad enough spectrum for corals. I've got a LOT of experience re-lighting our 47' boat with high-power LEDs, and really, really wanted to put them on a reef-nano I have, but won't. I'm just not sold...

Discus-n00b
07-27-2010, 08:32 PM
But would the spectrum be fine for plants? I'd be interested to see. They give a good look at least.

Darrell Ward
07-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow! Those things are BIG bucks! I think I'll be sticking with conventional lighting. :D

Discus-n00b
07-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Theres also the option to DIY LEDs, cheaper then prebuilt, but still going to cost you quite a bit over something like a T5 fixture for the amount of light coverage you need to equal a T5 fixture.

3dees
07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
don't know much about that light. I have a Catalina greenlight with two rows of led's ( 72 on each side). my wilds love it but when I tried to use only the led's my floating plants were not growing well. I now run one of the two 54 t8 bulbs for six hours and plant growth is great. Catalina says the led's put out as much light as a 150 watt MH but I disagree. If you want them for plants just be warned that you may be disappointed. then again if they are more powerful led's maybe they will be ok.