PDA

View Full Version : There must be more strains out there

Jennie
07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
and yes I found 2 very interesting strains.
The german purple and the siam ruby.
www.vaquariumthailand.com
click on product list-discus
are these strains still being bred?? at least in the states??

William Palumbo
07-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Those are the same strains we have here...just BS names...and juiced up. Look at that German Purple...his FINS are even red, especially his tailfin. Obviously fed a steady diet of hormones. Seek and ye shall find...but most times it's not what you want...Bill

Jennie
07-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Those are the same strains we have here...just BS names...and juiced up. Look at that German Purple...his FINS are even red, especially his tailfin. Obviously fed a steady diet of hormones. Seek and ye shall find...but most times it's not what you want...Bill

really, what is the strain considered here?

Jennie
07-26-2010, 11:04 PM
quote: Seek and ye shall find...but most times it's not what you want...Bill

lol, I am pretty tough to please

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 12:07 AM
I think we are always on the lookout for something new. I'm no different. I myself have pretty much come full circle, and am only interested in the "classic" strains. If you want something exotic, there is someone out there willing to $ell it to you. What you actually wind up with...who knows. As i said, most of those fish looked hormoned, incorrect or made up names. A strain of Discus, is not one fish. Show me a tank full of identical ones. As for purple cobalts. I have Cobalts from Hans that are so blue, they look purple most times, and I feed NO color enhancers. I may be biased...but his Cobalts are the BEST out there. There I said it. Stick with what the sponsors have on here. If you go elsewhere, you'll just wind up back here, with less money, still looking for quality Discus...Bill

Jennie
07-27-2010, 06:51 AM
I would never buy outside SD again, I only posted wondering if sd members . ever heard of them, as I have not. GUess I should have made that clearer in first post. I was asked by a local Fort collins resident here about purple discus, which is why I did the search, which led me to the german purple, yadda yadda. I do think those colors are interesting and is why I asked. Now see if that discus university section was more informative on fish and strains, I prolly would have not had to ask. lol, thanks bill, If they were bred by a member here, I might consider them. To date I'm pretty happy with Kenny.

I think we are always on the lookout for something new. I'm no different. I myself have pretty much come full circle, and am only interested in the "classic" strains. If you want something exotic, there is someone out there willing to $ell it to you. What you actually wind up with...who knows. As i said, most of those fish looked hormoned, incorrect or made up names. A strain of Discus, is not one fish. Show me a tank full of identical ones. As for purple cobalts. I have Cobalts from Hans that are so blue, they look purple most times, and I feed NO color enhancers. I may be biased...but his Cobalts are the BEST out there. There I said it. Stick with what the sponsors have on here. If you go elsewhere, you'll just wind up back here, with less money, still looking for quality Discus...Bill

David Rose
07-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi DiscusLover65,

You can't go wrong with Kenny and what you see is what you get :)

Finding a reputable breeder is always important and you're on the right track to ask fellow members if they have any experience with potential breeders that you come across or if you post in the "Hey, I'm looking for (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)" section of our forum helps too.

There are just so many unknown variables to consider...the accuracy of the photography, breeders reputation, juvenile coloring/patterns vs. adult coloring, and unless you feed the same diet as breeder coloring is bound to change based on what you choose feed them.

Like you, Bill is pretty pick too for quality and reputation and won't steer you wrong.

All the best,
David

Discus master
07-27-2010, 09:42 AM

Well I will tell you what take this for what it is worth, I am new to the hobby and just 4 months in or so. I went to a breeder knowing nothing about the strains not much any way just that there is a whole bunch out there. Ok well he had tons of diferent types of strains. I went with a blue diamond a turq a red turq a cobalt blue and a couple of snake skins 6 altogether discus oh and a royal lue as well.So come to find out latter that most of these if not all of them are concidered "clasics" to most discus keepers.

Now i find that interesting because out all the ones I could have bought I thought that the so called clasics looked the best to me and ended up buying them. So I guess its true you can not beat the clasics that and they been around so long their lines should be well established I am thinking.

I am like that with cars to I like the older clasics I may not know the names of them and I am no enthusist or anything but when I see what i would concider a clasic all restored I think wow I like to have that car. I am only 33 and still kind of new aged in my book but for some reason the clasics in certain things just can not beat. They are time proven and tesetd!

Dont get me worng some of those newer strains of discus are out of this world beautiful but for some reason I must really like those turqs and blu diamonds cobalts and ss as well
just my two cent for whatever it is worth:)

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 11:26 AM
As I said...I too like it when something "new" comes out. It's good for the hobby as well, as it draws in "newbies" who eventually get hooked on the hobby. You just have to KNOW where to get it from. To me, anyone, who is someone, in the Discus hobby/business is right here on Simply. Never, ever, do i look elsewhere for Discus. If I want the latest in Yellow, Albino, Spotted, ect...here is where I come. Even 99% of my dry goods/products are purchased thru Simply sponsors...Bill

Discus master
07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
As I said...I too like it when something "new" comes out. It's good for the hobby as well, as it draws in "newbies" who eventually get hooked on the hobby. You just have to KNOW where to get it from. To me, anyone, who is someone, in the Discus hobby/business is right here on Simply. Never, ever, do i look elsewhere for Discus. If I want the latest in Yellow, Albino, Spotted, ect...here is where I come. Even 99% of my dry goods/products are purchased thru Simply sponsors...Bill

Good advice, thats for sure for me it is defintely all about the source and I will never ever buy from an LFS again well for discus anyways my dry stuff is fine but I would like to support out sponsers. Its ashame to there may be a local mom and pop shop who breeds discus and knows what they are doing but unless they have an awsome rep and foliks from sd back them up I am not buying from an lfs had to many bad exp there in the short time I have been in this hobby. I am just no getting comfortable with my skill set as I have sharpend my tols by spending many many hours on sd reading and readin and sking tons of questions then following the advice you get is another key to it as well.

Jennie
07-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I think you guys are getting alittle offtrack. I did NOT say I was looking elsewhere but it seems that is where this conversation keeps redirecting. I'm almost afraid to inquire about strains now
Good advice, thats for sure for me it is defintely all about the source and I will never ever buy from an LFS again well for discus anyways my dry stuff is fine but I would like to support out sponsers. Its ashame to there may be a local mom and pop shop who breeds discus and knows what they are doing but unless they have an awsome rep and foliks from sd back them up I am not buying from an lfs had to many bad exp there in the short time I have been in this hobby. I am just no getting comfortable with my skill set as I have sharpend my tols by spending many many hours on sd reading and readin and sking tons of questions then following the advice you get is another key to it as well.

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 12:59 PM
OK...To get back on track...Those strains ARE being bred in the U.S. As i said the GERMAN PURPLE COBALT is a regular "juiced" Cobalt. I even breed these! The Siam looks like a very low quality, washed-out PB based fish. PLENTY bred here as well! Nothing new on that site...EXCEPT for the names...Bill

April
07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
there really are still only the basic strains..but alot have different names for the same strain. thats where the confusion comes in.
i think they are saying..a new name..or a very brightly coloured fish..can be called a blueberry delight..or something..but its just a blue fish coloured up with hormones or colouring.
the only rule of thumb i would use for sure..is make sure the site you see are showing actual pics of the actual fish they are selling in their tanks. there are breeders who take pics off the internet and they arent there pics at all.
it is interesting to see all the different fish from different sources though..as newer hobbyists and some seasoned ones spend alot of time looking at pics. no problem there..thats how we learn. you get to see shapes..and tell tale signs of hormones etc..by looking at alot and also people pointing things out. it takes time to see beyond the fancy colours and patterns.
i believe the simply website has strains list.http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/gallery.shtml
also i believe nada has a strain list.
also fons has a page..hes a member here. its hard to keep a stain list current..due to all the names..and variations..theres only a few strains that actually breed true.

Jennie
07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
that's what I hate most lol. Why not stick to one strain name? I can see if your crossing two diff. strains together. I like the nada site for explanation of the different types, but then there's still all those dang names. However in my search of one little guy I own, I've discovered that the Bknight, blue scorp and blue panda look suspiciously familiar, Ha. Now where's my aspirin? and Ken carries both those strains

there really are still only the basic strains..but alot have different names for the same strain. thats where the confusion comes in.
i think they are saying..a new name..or a very brightly coloured fish..can be called a blueberry delight..or something..but its just a blue fish coloured up with hormones or colouring.
the only rule of thumb i would use for sure..is make sure the site you see are showing actual pics of the actual fish they are selling in their tanks. there are breeders who take pics off the internet and they arent there pics at all.
it is interesting to see all the different fish from different sources though..as newer hobbyists and some seasoned ones spend alot of time looking at pics. no problem there..thats how we learn. you get to see shapes..and tell tale signs of hormones etc..by looking at alot and also people pointing things out. it takes time to see beyond the fancy colours and patterns.
i believe the simply website has strains list.http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/gallery.shtml
also i believe nada has a strain list.
also fons has a page..hes a member here. its hard to keep a stain list current..due to all the names..and variations..theres only a few strains that actually breed true.

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Actually the 3 strains you mentioned are TOTALLY different from each other, with the Blue Panda being PB based...Good pics(accurate) of each one should show you that they will NOT look alike, especially as they get older...Bill

Tito
07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
It's really unfair to the buyer to even refer to certain fish as A strain. Someone will breed a pair that throw out something a little different and floods the market with as many offspring as posible. The distributors pick then up and begin to sell. Next thing you know they are the rave of the year. Only one problem. When that pair stops production - there goes the so called strain. You'll try to get two other similar fish to breed and find out they don't produce what the previous pair did. Like some have said here - the classics breed true and IMO it's because most classic domestic types never stray far from F0 - that is - wild caught - certain "classic" domestics can be produced almost automatically with a certain wild caught combination or a wild caught to domestic combination. Case in point - the Red Spotted Leopard.

Jennie
07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
hmmm the blue knight looks like the blue panda??
Actually the 3 strains you mentioned are TOTALLY different from each other, with the Blue Panda being PB based...Good pics(accurate) of each one should show you that they will NOT look alike, especially as they get older...Bill

Jennie
07-27-2010, 01:56 PM
at least kenny's bK look like a BP I have

hmmm the blue knight looks like the blue panda??

Eddie
07-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Ditto and there aren't many new strains being made. There are many types already developed. Haven't seen much of anything new in long time, aside from a few albino types.

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 11:01 PM
I think maybe we came as far as we could go with Discus colors/strains. What's left? I know what I would like to see, but realistically I think were're tapped out of new "genes". Maybe is how come there is now such an intrest in "classic" and Wild strains. Think about how limited we would have been if the PB gene never came to light. We would have a small handful of colors, like the Angelfish world...Bill

Discus-Hans
07-27-2010, 11:27 PM
If you look at the names under pictures, you see with some (NH) I think that stands for Not Hormoned. A lot of (Asian) whole sales give you the option Hormoned or Not Hormoned,

Hans

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 11:29 PM
That's what I was thinking too Hans. All the ones with NH look dull...Bill

Eddie
07-27-2010, 11:33 PM
I think maybe we came as far as we could go with Discus colors/strains. What's left? I know what I would like to see, but realistically I think were're tapped out of new "genes". Maybe is how come there is now such an intrest in "classic" and Wild strains. Think about how limited we would have been if the PB gene never came to light. We would have a small handful of colors, like the Angelfish world...Bill

Yup, I agree. Everything will go full circle and vintage types are being re-developed.

If you look at the names under pictures, you see with some (NH) I think that stands for Not Hormoned. A lot of (Asian) whole sales give you the option Hormoned or Not Hormoned,

Hans

LOL, thats interesting... bacon or no bacon. :D

DiscusKev
07-28-2010, 07:32 AM

Hans

Pathetic really, if they have quality stock to start with, there is no need to hormone their discus. I think they sound proud of that...:smash:

Jennie
07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
hans, that's good to know.

[QUOTE=Discus-Hans;667875]If you look at the names under pictures, you see with some (NH) I think that stands for Not Hormoned. A lot of (Asian) whole sales give you the option Hormoned or Not Hormoned,

Kev, makes me wonder if there is some kind of law that requires them to divulge that.

Pathetic really, if they have quality stock to start with, there is no need to hormone their discus. I think they sound proud of that...