PDA

View Full Version : opinions on stocking levels with discus

markandhisdiscus
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
you often see the rule of 10g per discus quoted as a stocking guide for discus.

but im curious to know how many based on all of your experience you would keep in a moderately decorated ( bogwood etc) 4x2x2 tank

i have got 6 in m ine

Harriett
07-27-2010, 04:09 PM
That is a 120g tank. Technically of course, you can do 12 discus in there. Once you start adding substrate, wood, plants, I start subtracting discus. I don't follow a formula for planted tanks, but I do put fewer discus in there than the 1/10g rule--I don't want them to feel or look crowded. I would probably put about 8-9 max adult discus in a 120--with wood and or plants.
I also always overfilter planted or 'woody' tanks.
Best regards
Harriett

markandhisdiscus
07-27-2010, 04:47 PM
yep thats pretty much what i was thinking . im thinking of going for 8

Harriett
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
That would be real good. If you want a natural look to the tank, give them room to move around in--8 sounds right to me too.
Best regards,
Harriett

markandhisdiscus
07-27-2010, 05:34 PM
im thinking about selling my 6 and getting (maybe) 4 scarlet spotted and 4 golden leopard snakeskins ,

mutfish
07-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Pack em in they love the company...

markandhisdiscus
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
thats gotta be photoshopped!

Elite Aquaria
07-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Not sure about that photo but I have seen pictures from Stenker that has them packed in that tight. The key is not how many fish you have in a tank but rather what is your water quality. If you have good filtration you can pack them in.

mutfish
07-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Yep that pic is from Stenkers..

I've kept large numbers of fish together without problems...it aint rocket surgery...

Jhhnn
07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Meh. I think that first pic is a promo shot, like models on the beach- they don't actually live there. And if they do, that tank is part of a much, much larger system.

Discus definitely like company, but too much togetherness is difficult for aquarists to maintain over time. The rough 10gal or more per adult discus guideline is easy to follow and relatively low maintenance by discus standards. Even people like Chad Hughes, who uses ozone and live plants, still change a lot of water and hold populations low as a matter of practicality. Water quality can deteriorate very quickly in heavily populated tanks, and disease outbreaks can spread like wildfire...

It's one thing for pros or people with advanced fishrooms to siphon off the poop, flip a few valves and switches to execute water changes in BB tanks, entirely another matter to drag out the python into the living room, clean the sand or gravel, get under the ornamentation, so forth and so on...

And it's even more demanding when growing out young fish, who require enormous amounts of food to reach their full potential and very clean water all at the same time...

Lots of people keep discus in sub-optimal conditions... for relatively short periods of time...

DiscusOnly
07-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Not sure about that photo but I have seen pictures from Stenker that has them packed in that tight. The key is not how many fish you have in a tank but rather what is your water quality. If you have good filtration you can pack them in.

As Dan stated, the key is keeping the water quality. I have 14 3"-3.5" in a 20 gallon tank with 2 sponge filter. 3 times 70% w/c a day.

mmorris
07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I always advise against overstocking because
1) you are tied to the wc's - you can't just skip now and again.
2) You are dependent on an infallible source of electricity. I've seen enough posts from people with heavily overstocked tanks who lost power...and their fish.

markandhisdiscus
07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
2) You are dependent on an infallible source of electricity. I've seen enough posts from people with heavily overstocked tanks who lost power...and their fish.

i totally agree . i will more than likely just stick with 6 but i may go to 8 at a push. i was just curious to get other discus keepers opinions , and some interesting points were raised .

tdiscusman
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi Jhhnn,

Everyone who attended the banquet at NADA discus show in Dallas saw pictures of Stendker facilities. They have warehouse full of adult, sub-adult discus tanks stocking at that level. Off course, they have powerful filtration system.

Tony

Meh. I think that first pic is a promo shot, like models on the beach- they don't actually live there. And if they do, that tank is part of a much, much larger system.

Discus definitely like company, but too much togetherness is difficult for aquarists to maintain over time. The rough 10gal or more per adult discus guideline is easy to follow and relatively low maintenance by discus standards. Even people like Chad Hughes, who uses ozone and live plants, still change a lot of water and hold populations low as a matter of practicality. Water quality can deteriorate very quickly in heavily populated tanks, and disease outbreaks can spread like wildfire...

It's one thing for pros or people with advanced fishrooms to siphon off the poop, flip a few valves and switches to execute water changes in BB tanks, entirely another matter to drag out the python into the living room, clean the sand or gravel, get under the ornamentation, so forth and so on...

And it's even more demanding when growing out young fish, who require enormous amounts of food to reach their full potential and very clean water all at the same time...

Lots of people keep discus in sub-optimal conditions... for relatively short periods of time...

Jhhnn
07-29-2010, 07:29 PM

I hadn't even considered 2), but, yeh, it's another entirely valid reason to maintain conservative stocking levels.