PDA

View Full Version : OOH! I wish i would have known that?!

Skip
07-27-2010, 09:42 PM
i have done water changes the last 3 days.. cus my tank smelled bad!!

after doing some reading..

i found out, its the Seachem PRIME i am using to condition my water before i put it in during water change..

is this true?!

new to the game,...

Skip

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Prime smells bad. The powdered version(Safe) smells worse. But I never really smelled it once it hit the water...Bill

kleankord
07-27-2010, 09:47 PM
how much are you using? it does smell bad, but shouldn't affect the entire tank. I use it on my 75 and 3 20s and i smell it when mixing, but not after it's been in the tank

Skip
07-27-2010, 09:53 PM
2 drops per gallon..

but i had driftwood in there.. i took it out and i will see how it is by morning.

i guess it just smells like a FISH TANK.. LOL>>

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Some bad driftwood can cause a tank to smell foul. Take it out and smell it. If it stinks...toss it...Bill

Skip
07-27-2010, 10:42 PM
thanks bill.. i did.. i may put it in a tub i have.. and see if that was the problem...

dbfzurowski
07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
thats the smell of a cycled tank buddy

birdog
07-27-2010, 11:37 PM
thats the smell of a cycled tank buddy

Haha, yeah, that was my first thought.

David

William Palumbo
07-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Hey guys...Not sure about your tanks...but a properly cycled tank will have little to no smell at all. Sorry...Bill

birdog
07-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Well it does smell a little, not like smelling straight into the bottle of prime but, a little smell non the less.
Maybe the OP has a hightened sense of smell.

Maybe you're getting old buddy.LOL:D

David

William Palumbo
07-28-2010, 12:15 AM
LOL David...For now, just my sight is going. The nose and ears work fine!...Bill

vera
07-28-2010, 02:10 AM
The nose and ears work fine!...Bill

they will get even better Bill LOL
i dont have smell on my cycled tanks , must be wood Skip or time for large wc till tank cycled
TC

Discus master
07-28-2010, 07:45 AM
LOL David...For now, just my sight is going. The nose and ears work fine!...Bill

My tank may have a slight oder, not sulfar rotten egg (anerobic) smell but it does not nessisarly smell like a fresh glass of water either. I know it is normal and I can tell when something is wrong so I am not concerned its not a strong smell. More like a fresh water lake smell you know? I do have a good amount of driftwood and up right branches in the tank so that combined with fish combined with prime and bio material perhaps this is what gives it this slight smell. It is not at all strong or anything to be alarmed about all my levels have been testing fine and my fish seem to be doing pretty good so I know it normal my other tank has the same smell. I would not worry about it unless it smells like rotten eggs this is anerobic condition and it will give like a sulphar smell to it. That last coment was for the OP as I am sure you already knew that.:)

DerekFF
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Agreed with all above here pretty much, the Prime should only smell as its coming out of the bottle, once its in the water its pretty much done smelling. And your tank shouldnt smell. If it does, theres a lot of dead/decaying stuff or your WC's arent to par. Never heard of wood making it smell, but i havnt used wood much yet either though.

Skip
07-28-2010, 10:40 AM
i did water changes for the last 3 days.. yesterday i did about 40%.. the smell seems to have gone away..

or the aquaclear filter is working better then my RENA Smartfilter and Magnum 220(its old school canister)

Jhhnn
07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
I can definitely smell my aquariums, when I put my nose up close, but they don't smell "bad", they smell like... healthy aquariums... Prime stinks of sulfur, but that disappears almost immediately on being added to water...

The sense of smell is supposedly the strongest in terms of creating memories. The healthy aquarium smell reminds me of Todd's Pedigree Shop, a long defunct aquarium shop that was on south University blvd here in Denver...

Other smells remind me of different things. A long ago girlfriend wore Opium perfume, very distinctive... I caught a whiff of it on the street the other day, reminded me of how she drove me crazy in ways good and bad... hadn't thought about her in a very long time...

Skip
07-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok.. would a Bacteria Bloom in a new tank cause the funny smell??!? its not as bad as it was 4 days ago.. it is kind of cloudy.. i am understanding it is part of the cycling process.. so maybe it wasn't my Driftwood after all.. : ))

DerekFF
07-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Driftwood could cause some algae/bacteria growth, but not so much if its cured.

tcyiu
07-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Ok.. would a Bacteria Bloom in a new tank cause the funny smell??!?

Quick answer is no if it is part of the cycling process. Yes if you have a dead decaying body in there.

BTW, I re-read the thread and I can't figure out what you're smelling. "bad" and "funny" were the only adjectives you used. Can you be more descriptive?

e.g. rotten egg smell, local fish store on a hot humid day, mildew, a stagnant pond, Chanel no 9 ... give us a hint.

Like Jhhnn, my fish tanks smell like a healthy freshwater lake. An unhealthy lake is one that is choked with algae, and imparts an odor consisting of decaying water plants mixed in with rotten egg.

Tim

Skip
07-30-2010, 09:04 AM
tcyiu, it smelled bad.. i have had fish tanks before.. but it was enough of a strange smell that it scared me, i just know, fish tanks are not suppose to smell like that.. the tank was kind of cloudy so i took out the driftwood.. i have done water changes everyday since then... but now the water is pretty clear and ammonia level dropped to about .5 - 1 ppm..

maybe it was the new tank cycling with a bacteria bloom.. or it was the additional driftwood.. but either way.. it seems to be undercontrol..

the fish seemed to be much more chipper this morning.. but they still need a little more time to recover.. i will another water change again today..

luckily the little guy i lost was only $10.. but i didn't like losing him..

i will test for nitrate/nitrite today..

oh yea.. i also have a 4" circular airstone for extra aeration..

brewmaster15
07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
If your tank is still cycling and has ammonia...then you add the prime..the chemical reaction between the two may cause an increase in the smell of the prime...just a guess.

hth,
al

Skip
07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
i am using prime for all water i add.. and i also put in prime drops into existing tank once i pulled the water out...

peterhql
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
All my tanks smell like moist soil.

Skip
07-30-2010, 12:26 PM
peter thats what i have now..!! the color has come back to my little guys... and they maybe getting back their appetite.. one of them just spit out the few tetra bits i put in there.. i think they like BLOODWORMS better.. LOL

DerekFF
07-30-2010, 02:01 PM
peter thats what i have now..!! the color has come back to my little guys... and they maybe getting back their appetite.. one of them just spit out the few tetra bits i put in there.. i think they like BLOODWORMS better.. LOL

Pft, what discus doesnt like bloodworms better lol

danny2013
07-30-2010, 02:54 PM
my tank always used to smell and when i got discus i started doing 40% daily water changes. No smell at all now :)