PDA

View Full Version : Is this tank setup ok?

Ad7
07-28-2010, 06:37 AM
Hi everyone:)

My wife purchased a 450L (115G) tank 3 weeks ago for my birthday, then said we should get some Discus....... I must say i wasnt too keen because i knew they required a lot of time and effort, but after reading up on Discus ive decided to jump right on in. After all, they are the best looking freshwater fish!!!!

Im looking to get 5 to 8 Discus.

I have a 450L (115G) display tank, 1000L (260G) storage tank and a 400L (105G) sump which will have all of the mechanical and biological filtration in it. So i suppose my total aquarium capacity is 1850L (484G).
How often will water changes be required for adults?
How often for Juvies?
I dont like water changes, i know its a contradiction with wanting discus, but if i make my total capacity bigger my water changes will be bigger but less often, right?

Water pH is 7.4 and kH is 5'dKH (89.5ppm), unsure about GH. Is this ok?

Display tank is lightly planted with a couple of swords, with some volcanic rock and about 2" of gravel.

Does this set up sound ok?

Thanks, Ad

Eddie
07-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Your set-up sounds ideal for adults. If you had 8 or more, it would workout well in your tank. You could get by with doing once or twice a week water changes, depending on how/what you feed.

Welcome to Simply!

Eddie

vera
07-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Your set-up sounds ideal for adults. If you had 8 or more, it would workout well in your tank. You could get by with doing once or twice a week water changes, depending on how/what you feed.

Welcome to Simply!

Eddie
+1, adults only

Ad7
07-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys.

joshuajames
07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
i would loose the lava rock.when they freak out or get scared they run into stuff.i learned the hard way with a few big pieces of lava rock.i had to treat for wounds they got from the smashing into the coarse rock. go with a smooth stone.then they will just knock themselves out then.lol the lava rock does look sweet in planted tanks tho.

Ad7
07-28-2010, 09:05 PM
lava rock does look awesome, but i was wondering if they would be good for Discus, i might go with driftwood instead of rock.