PDA

View Full Version : Eggs that are staying!!!

DerekFF
07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
WOO! I have about 100 eggs from my favorite cobalt girl and the supposed male isnt eating them this time. And ive been gone for 24 hours at the firehouse so i dont know when she layed them either. I have a few questions......Will a female discus lay eggs and then guard them even if theres no male to mate with her? 2nd Eggs usually turn white withing the first 24 hours if they are bad is this correct? At first I thought there was no mate, but the male came back over after a few minutes and they switches guard and she went to get some food.
The female
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx198/DerekFF/58e2f5db.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx198/DerekFF/59ec4b94.jpg
The pair
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx198/DerekFF/6ef5a5b3.jpg

mmorris
07-28-2010, 12:25 PM
It seems to be the second day when most of the eggs turn white at my house. Yes, she will guard them if there is no male. Fingers crossed! Nice fish. :)

wgtaylor
07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey Derek

Nice looking pair of discus you have.
We moved from Stockton, east of 99 close to Linden. Raised plenty of discus with Stockton East water district water.
Typically eggs clear/white first day not fertilized.
Turn white second or third day, water too hard. You should be good.
Looks like in your pics a few clear eggs but many fertilized so look for the eggs to start turning dark on third day. Leave white fungused eggs alone.
Day 5 should be the fun day. Good luck.
Bill

DerekFF
07-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Hey thanks for the info, super relevant as I live about a mile west of 99 on march right where it starts. I hope there good! Do you think I should move them to a 20g? They are currently in the 110community but guarding their eggs very well. If I do move them should I move them now or as wrigglers if they make it that far? Also in sad you aren't a local stocktonian anymore. Would have bee great to meet someone off SD local

Hey Derek

Nice looking pair of discus you have.
We moved from Stockton, east of 99 close to Linden. Raised plenty of discus with Stockton East water district water.
Turn white second or third day, water too hard. You should be good.
Looks like in your pics a few clear eggs but many fertilized so look for the eggs to start turning dark on third day. Leave white fungused eggs alone.
Day 5 should be the fun day. Good luck.
Bill

mmorris
07-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Turn white second or third day, water too hard. Bill

Don't know about that, Bill. I don't think it's that straightforward. My tds is really low.

I, personally, would wait and see what happens to this batch and move the parents later. They are on a cone, though, which is nice, so it wouldn't be much of a challenge to move them. If I was going to move them I would do it now, and don't be too disappointed if the parents then eat them. I have moved both eggs and fry successfully.

DerekFF
07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks Martha. I'll wait and see if there even still there when I get home today. I really have no clue how long they've been on the cone for. Minimum time is 6hours and max is 18hours so well see tonight.

wgtaylor
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't know about that, Bill. I don't think it's that straightforward. My tds is really low.

I, personally, would wait and see what happens to this batch and move the parents later..
Ya, other things can have effects. I artificially raise some spawns, it's like clockwork. Only so much can be covered in a single post.
Like Martha I would let them be and see if they get to wigglers before moving them. Not knowing for sure if they are a pair will tell. Most probably loose the fry but they should lay within a week or so after moving. This should be a good trial run, I wouldn't interrupt them. imo

Also in sad you aren't a local stocktonian anymore.
I love Stockton and really miss all the time I spent in the Delta.
Bill

DerekFF
07-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I love Stockton and really miss all the time I spent in the Delta.
Bill

Delta=swimming/fishing/biking/sun/bbq's and just overall good times!

DerekFF
07-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Well......just home from school, they are all gone :( But it was their first spawn so hopefully ill get another soon. I just want to see it in action so that i know i dont have 2 females as im not 100% sure yet. So they remain in the comm tank until next time.

mmorris
07-28-2010, 07:41 PM
see if they get to wigglers before moving them.

They may never get wrigglers in a tank with other fish present. They - or someone else - may just keep eating them. I'd move the pair now.

DerekFF
07-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Yeah I left them there because i read that if you let them go a while in the comm tank they form a good bond. But ill move them to a 20 tonight