PDA

View Full Version : Discus in hard water

blue acara
07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey hey guys. My Ro membrane is on its last legs and one of the prefilter casings has cracked. The prefilers need replacing as well most likely. Quite expensive and a pita to sort out so the question is...

Can discus thrive in hard water?

Im in London and the tap water is not great. TDS 375, nitrates I cant say for sure but they are high at 30-50 ppm.

I keep a tank of Penang eruption discus from asia plus wild angles and geophagus in other tanks. Will hard water harm the fish at all, is soft water required for breeding?

Comments, experiences and thoughts plz ;)

Cheers J

DiscusKev
07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey hey guys. My Ro membrane is on its last legs and one of the prefilter casings has cracked. The prefilers need replacing as well most likely. Quite expensive and a pita to sort out so the question is...

Can discus thrive in hard water?

Im in London and the tap water is not great. TDS 375, nitrates I cant say for sure but they are high at 30-50 ppm.

I keep a tank of Penang eruption discus from asia plus wild angles and geophagus in other tanks. Will hard water harm the fish at all, is soft water required for breeding?

Comments, experiences and thoughts plz ;)

Cheers J

I raise discus in hard water and they love it, no problem at all. Your nitrates are pretty high...FYI, my discus are from Asia too, but I'm not sure about the wild Angels (soft water). Soft water isn't always needed for breeding, my angels had wrigglers in hard water, but that's angels...

The discus will do fine, not sure about the wild angels.

Dutch dude
07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I keep F1 wilds and domestic discus in hard tap water at PH=8, GH=9 and KH=3-4 with conductivity somewhere between the 700 and 550 micro Siemens. No issues at all. I even bread and raised a couple of spawns in streight tap water aldough it is on the edge for breeding. I also keep Guianacara and domesticated apisto's in the same water conditions.

What species of Geophagus do you keep?

Dutch dude
07-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Ooh and my nitrates are 10 to 12 mg/liter. (our tapwater already contains 9 mg/liter)