PDA

View Full Version : All male discus tank

Thomas79
07-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I was thinking of putting together a discus tank and was wondering if there would be any problem with an all male discus tank? The reason i want to do this is because I don't want them to breed in my display tank and start have aggression towards other discus. Let me know what you think about this idea.

Thanks

Keith Perkins
07-29-2010, 06:06 PM
If you can pick out all males you ought to consider quitting your day job, because there are some folks around here who would like to hire you. :) If you leave all your discus in a community tank, odds are the fry will disappear even if they do have any.

Jason K.
07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
If you can pick out all males you ought to consider quitting your day job, because there are some folks around here who would like to hire you. :) If you leave all your discus in a community tank, odds are the fry will disappear even if they do have any.

+1 neighbor

DiscusKev
07-29-2010, 07:09 PM

Not a wise choice, but he can always buy proven males, off course the price will be much higher ;)

srusso
07-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I disagree I feel it isn't that hard! At least I wouldn't go telling the guy to quit his day job! It becomes easier to tell male from female once you know the sex of one discus. Their interaction with the others can be very telling. I can't tell you for sure if doing so would make a peaceful discus display tank. Other cichlids can be more or just as aggressive when there are little to no females. Basically just as bad as a pair in the display tank, a single male will become the leader, and dominate while waiting for a female.

DiscusKev
07-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I disagree I feel it isn't that hard! At least I wouldn't go telling the guy to quit his day job! It becomes easier to tell male from female once you know the sex of one discus. Their interaction with the others can be very telling. I can't tell you for sure if doing so would make a peaceful discus display tank. Other cichlids can be more or just as aggressive when there are little to no females. Basically just as bad as a pair in the display tank, a single male will become the leader, and dominate while waiting for a female.

I would believe that the job thing was a joke...other than that, I agree with you about having all males can cause aggression in the tank. The sexing game is difficult for someone who have not got a lot of discus to judge, only one who owns a fish farm or hatchery will know. That includes professionals.

jimg
07-29-2010, 09:04 PM
I can tell you in my tanks it always seems to be the females doing the chasing.while the males mind their business.

dwilder
08-05-2010, 05:03 PM
right now i have an all male tank and everything if fine.actually now that there are no females in the tank the aggression level in the tank has gone down

Inland Empire Discus
08-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Right now due to moving I have almost all my males in the same tank and females in another so as not to have spawns right now. The tank with the males in less aggressive than the tank with all the females.

Bill

Keith Perkins
08-05-2010, 06:54 PM
right now i have an all male tank and everything if fine.actually now that there are no females in the tank the aggression level in the tank has gone down

Right now due to moving I have almost all my males in the same tank and females in another so as not to have spawns right now. The tank with the males in less aggressive than the tank with all the females.

Bill

These observations should come as no surprise to anyone who's worked in an environment of nearly all men and also an environment of nearly all women. :argue:

Tito
08-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I can tell you in my tanks it always seems to be the females doing the chasing.while the males mind their business.
+1

LizStreithorst
08-05-2010, 07:46 PM
An all male tank is an excellent idea. Get with Hans is you are interested in traditional strains or with Kenny if you prefer Asians. These guys know their Discus. In all the years that I've ordered from them they have not yet made a mistake in sexing. (I'm not saying that it can't happen, just that that has been my experience.) Males grow bigger and thicker faster in all male tanks. I learned this from a fish buddy from a ways back named Cary.

Discus-Hans
08-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I would believe that the job thing was a joke...other than that, I agree with you about having all males can cause aggression in the tank. The sexing game is difficult for someone who have not got a lot of discus to judge, only one who owns a fish farm or hatchery will know. That includes professionals.

Believe me buddy,
a) I've some experience
b) seen some Discus
c) a few here (adults) to compare

It's still 50/50 (maybe a little more lol) but somebody who can select males and females 100% for me has a job NOW!!!!!

Look at http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79785 all those tanks would have a better use :D :D

For an only male tank, PEACE brother, the moment women gets involved, every were, hell breaks lose :angel: :angel:

Hans

vera
08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I have 2 proven males in my tank ..and they paired up and doing empty runs and bow dance! -no aggression of course LOL
look fab tho'

Keith Perkins
08-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Gee Hans, where were you a week ago when the fins were flying about the difficulty/ease of getting all males. Well, better late than never I guess. Talked with your rep at the ACA show, but oddly enough he wasn't handing out free samples like the other folks. :confused: ;)