PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me

azpunisher24
07-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Hi all,

Well i just want to know what is the best water cleaner when adding Tap water from the hose to the tank. Also how much would i need to apply for a 60g tank.

How long do i leave the water getting filtered with a Aquaclear 110.

please help.

thanks.

- Abner :)

ifixoldhouses
07-31-2010, 07:04 AM
I use Prime, one cap full will treat 50 gallons.

azpunisher24
07-31-2010, 07:55 AM
prime, how long do you let the water filter before you add the Fish?

Elite Aquaria
07-31-2010, 08:02 AM
I use ClorAm-X. Prior to using ClorAm-X I used Prime. I found that ClorAm-X was more cost effective for me. Both are great products. I do not filter the water at all I drain down as much as 90% add the ClorAm-X and refill directly from the tap.

Willie
07-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Like Dan, I drain the tank, fill from tap, and add ChlorAm-X right before filling. My changes are always 100%.

Willie

ifixoldhouses
07-31-2010, 10:01 AM

You have to have the filter cycled before you add the fish

tcyiu
07-31-2010, 03:39 PM

Please look at threads such as this:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79309&highlight=nitrogen+cycle

Cycling a tank means getting a colony of good bacteria established. They will quickly turn the fish's pee and poop into something relatively harmless. If the bacteria are not allowed to get established, the pee and poop will decompose into something toxic and your fish will get sick and possibly die.

There are a variety of means of cycling a tank (and an even larger number of opinions). Don't get intimidated.

But do choose one method and get it done. Unless your tank/filter is cycled, you will run into trouble.

Tim

birdog
07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Please look at threads such as this:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79309&highlight=nitrogen+cycle

Cycling a tank means getting a colony of good bacteria established. They will quickly turn the fish's pee and poop into something relatively harmless. If the bacteria are not allowed to get established, the pee and poop will decompose into something toxic and your fish will get sick and possibly die.

There are a variety of means of cycling a tank (and an even larger number of opinions). Don't get intimidated.

But do choose one method and get it done. Unless your tank/filter is cycled, you will run into trouble.

Tim

+ 1

You do have to get that filter cycled or do what I did, get a cycled sponge from the place your buying the fish, ask your breeder to sell you the sponge and your good to go, it sounds that a little bit more reading would help you a lot before getting any fish that are very expensive.
Not trying to be critical, but a lot of us started out reading our eyes out in this forum.

David

Skip
07-31-2010, 05:21 PM

AZ. don't do as i do! let your tank cycle.. i lost 2 in first week..

get some SAFESTART from tetra.. that will help..

google CYCLING FISH TANK.. be patient and listen to people here.. if not.. you WILL lose fish.. but do as you want.. ; )

azpunisher24
07-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Thank you all for your helpful replies.

:D

Discus master
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I use Prime, one cap full will treat 50 gallons.

Hmm I thought it was one cap full for 40 gallons?

Jennie
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
It's 1 capful for 50 gallons

Hmm I thought it was one cap full for 40 gallons?

Discus master
08-04-2010, 01:29 PM
It's 1 capful for 50 gallons

Good to know I got a 55 gallon but I am still only using one cap full I like to live life on the edge well a little maybe?

Jennie
08-04-2010, 01:31 PM
lol

Good to know I got a 55 gallon but I am still only using one cap full I like to live life on the edge well a little maybe?

Eddie
08-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Use Safe instead of Prime, you'll save hundreds.

Eddie

Discus master
08-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Use Safe instead of Prime, you'll save hundreds.

Eddie

Eddie does the LFS or that fish place sell safe?? and does it do all the same things Prime does? is it liquid or powder?

You know me thanks for all the advice and info I never almost never forget to say thanks to all who have helped me.:D

Eddie
08-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Eddie does the LFS or that fish place sell safe?? and does it do all the same things Prime does? is it liquid or powder?

You know me thanks for all the advice and info I never almost never forget to say thanks to all who have helped me.:D

Yes, they should. I get mine from 4fishstuff.com. Also I think David from IGO PRO sells it. Its exactly like Prime, just a concentrated powder.

All the best,

Eddie