PDA

View Full Version : Female moving wigglers too soon

suzanne4
07-31-2010, 08:14 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has the problem with a female moving wigglers too soon or unsuccessfully. I have a female that consistantly lays between 250-300 eggs. This last time I counted and it was closer to the 300 side, of which about 240 hatched. As soon as the eggs hatch she starts moving the wigglers to another side of the cone. At this stage I think because they are so young, it seems that they just have a hard time sticking to the cone and before I know it, my 240 wigglers has turned into 60-75. The female is an experienced breeder, she has been breeding for about 8 months (with a couple month break in the middle). I have successfully raised some of her fry, but often she decides that the 60 is not enough raise and ends up laying again. If she gets a good group to attach she is a good parent. So do you think I should interfere the next time and put a mesh around the cone or would that just mess up the pair? Are there any other tricks to get her to stop doing this?

LizStreithorst
07-31-2010, 09:36 AM
I dont think that the problem is with her moving them. Lots of excellent parents move their fry several times before they free swim. The problem is with the frys heads not being stickey enough. I had this happen only once. I was told to lower the conductivity of the water. I did and it never happened again. It might be worth a try.

mmorris
07-31-2010, 12:23 PM
it seems that they just have a hard time sticking to the cone and before I know it, my 240 wigglers has turned into 60-75.

Can you see them all over the floor of the tank, or have they disappeared? I wonder if she (or he!) isn't eating them.

kaceyo
07-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Can you see them all over the floor of the tank, or have they disappeared? I wonder if she (or he!) isn't eating them.

That was my thought too. Are the wrigglers staying stuck to the cone untill they are moved? Sometimes parents will swallow them occassionaly when moving them around. Or just eat one here and there till most are gone.
I'd try screening to see if that takes care of the problem.

suzanne4
07-31-2010, 08:58 PM
I dont think that the problem is with her moving them. Lots of excellent parents move their fry several times before they free swim. The problem is with the frys heads not being stickey enough. I had this happen only once. I was told to lower the conductivity of the water. I did and it never happened again. It might be worth a try.

This seems like a possibility, my female doesn't seem to eat the fry, but when she spits one onto the cone, it takes several tries to get it to stick, and often in the process she knocks off several others. Typically if she sees them she will try to catch them too, but many just escape her notice. How did you lower your conductivity?

I actually don't have a bare bottem tank (I know its terrible), so I don't see the fry on the ground, but I have watched several fall (or at least I do until I can't stand the sight any more).

That was my thought too. Are the wrigglers staying stuck to the cone untill they are moved? Sometimes parents will swallow them occassionaly when moving them around. Or just eat one here and there till most are gone.
I'd try screening to see if that takes care of the problem.

The fry do seem to stick until they are moved, but they just seem to have trouble that first day of being a wiggler. By the second day, they seem to stick much better.

deepflyball
08-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Do you have other fish in the tank????
Jerry