PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus

CSC2334
07-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Hello, I have been lurking the board and just decided to take the plunge. Here are what I have: a 46g and a 120g; currently have 12 angels (5 adults and 7 kids), 2 ghost catfish, 2 algae shark, 2 albino catfish, 1 zebra danio, 2 small size pleco (never grow bigger than 4").

I am thinking moving all of them to the 120g and re-scape the 46g bowfront for 6 kid-size discus. When they grow bigger, they could be moved to the 120g. Would it be a good idea? Thanks for all the advice you could give!

DiscusKev
07-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Sounds like a good idea, when they hit the 3-4 inch mark, you could move them to the 120G, but it would make it look empty lol (if I were in your position, I would remove all the fish besides the pleco [bristlenose?]).

Some may say you are overloading the 46G with 6 juveniles, but that would depend on your water change regime.

Personally though, I would sell all of the current fish and buy sub-adult discus in the 120, would look very neat. Off course, if money isn't a barrier.

CSC2334
08-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks! I don't remember the name of the pleco. I have them for a year now; and they never really grew much, still like 3". I am trying to call up LFS in my area see if they would trade fish. Or I will try craigslist to get rid of some of my stock.

I visited a local Discus breeder not long ago; I was told to put 30 juveniles in the 120g or 15 in 46g. I was like "WHAT?". I would never put those numbers of Angels in the tanks, let alone discus. I am glad to double checking the numbers here. Maybe I should only go with 4 juveniles and add more later? What is the chances to have a match pair with 4? By the way, I have been doing water changing every 2-3 days.

DiscusKev
08-01-2010, 10:09 AM
...I am glad to double checking the numbers here. Maybe I should only go with 4 juveniles and add more later? What is the chances to have a match pair with 4? By the way, I have been doing water changing every 2-3 days.

Good job on doing some research here at SD :)

I would advise you to get 6 as if you get more, you will have to run into the hassle of putting the new comers in a QT, that will ruin the fun :D

The chances of having a pair with 4 discus is slim, but it is up to the discus to decide, keep that in mind :p

Just wondering, are you planning to keep the tank a bare bottom?

Jennie
08-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I would reserve the 120 gallon for the discus.

Hello, I have been lurking the board and just decided to take the plunge. Here are what I have: a 46g and a 120g; currently have 12 angels (5 adults and 7 kids), 2 ghost catfish, 2 algae shark, 2 albino catfish, 1 zebra danio, 2 small size pleco (never grow bigger than 4").

I am thinking moving all of them to the 120g and re-scape the 46g bowfront for 6 kid-size discus. When they grow bigger, they could be moved to the 120g. Would it be a good idea? Thanks for all the advice you could give!