PDA

View Full Version : 50 eggless passes

chaoslite
08-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I have a confirmed pair of discus that for the past two days have cleaned, re-cleaned and cleaned the pot again. For the past hour and a half, the female has been making passes over the pot, but there are no eggs. The male is making passes behind her anyway. Could there be something wrong?

Mishka

chaoslite
08-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Never mind the eggs are here!!!!:D:D:D

William Palumbo
08-01-2010, 11:17 PM
LOL...Good!...All the best with the spawn...Bill

mmorris
08-01-2010, 11:42 PM
LOL You'll be needing a bottle of scotch for attachment day. :D Good luck. Pics, please.

chaoslite
08-02-2010, 12:54 AM
LOL You'll be needing a bottle of scotch for attachment day. :D Good luck. Pics, please.

Tell me about it. This is the pair that had over a hundred free swimmers when the female decided to beat the crap out of the male while the free swimmers were attaching to him. I will be removing her in the next day or two so that doesn't happen again.
The female decided to investigate the camera in this picture.

Mishka

chaoslite
08-02-2010, 12:55 AM
LOL...Good!...All the best with the spawn...Bill

Thanks Bill.

Mishka

William Palumbo
08-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Nice looking pair. You could always try and put a piece of eggcrate in the tank as a divider, seperating them, that way the fry can still feed, and less stress on everyone all around. UNLESS mom is a fry eater. Then remove her if so...Bill

chaoslite
08-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Nice looking pair. You could always try and put a piece of eggcrate in the tank as a divider, seperating them, that way the fry can still feed, and less stress on everyone all around. UNLESS mom is a fry eater. Then remove her if so...Bill

I do have egg crate. Female is not a fry eater just a spouse abuser.:D

Mishka

William Palumbo
08-02-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a few pairs like that. Fight over the fry. Not every spawn, but enough to know to keep an eye on them, and have the eggcrate ready. I like using that, than removing a breeder...Bill

chaoslite
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
This female is going to drive me insane. We did not even make it to the wriggler stage. She ate the eggs when the mess I had covering them came off. Had to use the bottle for Scotch for my depression instead of calming my nerves while waiting for them to attach. Next time they spawn she is going back to the planted tank. I guess I can be thankful that there was no abuse this time.

Mishka

judy
08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Next time, try to time the removal of the female. Watch carefully to see when she starts the egg-eating and get her then. Don't take her out before that, or the male may panic and eat the eggs. That's happened to me more than a few times until all three breeding pairs grew up and started doing it right...
If she doesn't go after the eggs, have the egg crate handy for the abuse portion of the scenario... but maybe it would be better just to remove her than. She could go after the attaching fry if she can't beat up on the male.

chaoslite
08-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Ok they are at it again. Eggless passes are being made.

1. Filters and pumps off - Check
2. Aphrodisiac of Beef Heart just in case they need enticement -Check
3. Screen for eggs clean and sterilized - Check
4. Mood music playing (Barry White for the fish, Siouxsie and the Banshees and The Smiths for Mishka) - Check
5. Bucket and net ready for psychotic, spouse abusing female to be transported to planted tank- Check
6. Liquor for attachment day or knowing this pair for whatever could go wrong - D@#$! need to run to the store.

Fingers crossed there will eggs when I get back.

Mishka

Keith Perkins
08-07-2010, 11:29 AM
:D Glad you're getting all prepared. Looking forward to hearing your pairs progress.

chaoslite
08-07-2010, 12:04 PM
:D Glad you're getting all prepared. Looking forward to hearing your pairs progress.

CozyKeith

Eggs have been laid and fertilized. Small batch compared to last time, but still over 100 eggs. Eggs covered. Female caught and slowly acclimated to RO water planted tank by drip method for two hours just to be on the safe side. She took food 15 minutes after move. Male watching over eggs. One full bottle of Cachaca waiting, with fresh limes growing on my tree. Now the wait.

Mishka

chaoslite
08-08-2010, 01:16 PM
The male has stopped watching over the eggs. I think I pulled the wrong parent. Would it be possible to add the female back and still possibly have her raise this batch? The eggs are going to be 48 hours old. Any advice would great.

Mishka

Keith Perkins
08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Just because he quit watching the eggs doesn't mean she wasn't the egg eater. Removing her might have upset him and caused him to quit watching the eggs. Not that you did anything wrong, but these creatures can drive you nuts at times. Guarding and fanning the eggs isn't necessary, but I don't have any idea if he'll reengage once they become wrigglers or go free swimming. The same could be said of the female now. I wouldn't think the odds of her coming back and acting like she was never gone would be good, but hopefully someone with some experience with this will come along soon and comment. Seems like you're in a tough spot. :(

mmorris
08-08-2010, 07:44 PM
The male has stopped watching over the eggs. I think I pulled the wrong parent. Would it be possible to add the female back and still possibly have her raise this batch? The eggs are going to be 48 hours old. Any advice would great.

Mishka

Mine meander off now and again. Wait and see. I suspect he'll be on the ball when they hatch. :)

chaoslite
08-09-2010, 12:42 AM
The male did not come back around to take care of the eggs. He did however ram the mesh and eat about 50 of them. I decided to see what the female would do when put back into the tank. After about 5 minutes he decided to try the mating game. She started to participate and then passed the pot with the remaining eggs on it. She went in for a closer look and has been guarding them ever since. As of 10 minutes ago they are now becoming wrigglers and she is moving them about and checking to see if any more have started to move. There are only about 40 left so not even sure she will try to raise them bu then agian she raised a batch of 8. Guess I know who the better parent is.:D

Mishka